Thursday 26 March 2020

Thursday

Another gorgeous sunny day.  DH again used his once-a-day to go and check on the chooks at the allotment.  All are fine.

He's been taking advantage of th gorgeous weather and has hosed down the seating area so we can move the swing bench back in to place, and put out a table.  The swing bench collapsed, literally, in the winter. Luckily for me, DH is handy with wood,  so he was able to make a new beam to fix it.

One of the Garden Girls is Not Quite Right.    Fleur has been Not Quite Right for pretty much her entire life.  Now we've got an extra 5 girls in the garden,  and may have more to come,  we're having to give serious consideration to culling her.

I ordered a coop door opener for the coop we brought home from the allotment.  I haven't heard anything form the company concerned, so I hope all is OK with them.    At the oment, the Girls are being very patient about being shut in at night and not being able to get up when they feel like it.  The Garden Girls start getting gobby quite early, complaining that its 6am and their respective doors haven't opened yet.

In some respects, it's good that one of us has to get up to let the Ex-Allotmenteers out.  Whoever gets up makes tea, feeds the cats etc,  and by that time its not worth going back to bed, so the other one gets up as well.   I suspect we'd be lie-abeds otherwise.

The layers pellets arrived today.  I ordered direct from the manufacturer, to avoid pressure on our local supplier.  People are, naturally, buying extra to see them through (as indeed I did).

Groceries wise, yesterday evening I managed to book an online delivery slot for tonight (it was tonight or nothing), but stuff was going out of stock between me putting them in my trolley and checking out,  so I don't know how much use it will be.   I didn't panic buy, I didn't over order.   It has cat food in,  and some cheese for our neighbour,  plus some goats milk for me (the milkman is having trouble delivering goats milk at the moment), and some butter.  I've also included some vegetables, as I haven't been eating enough veg, and my cholesterol count is very high.

I made yoghurt last night, and today I used an extra fine straining box to try making yoghurt cheese. I appreciate the irony of making "cheese" when I have high cholesterol,  but all was underway before I got the news.

Speaking of cheese, I've just realised that my Instant Pot would be great for makking marscarpone.  I normally make it in a double boiler jug thing,  but I bet the IP would be fab.

I've phoned my Uncle (who lives about 6? miles away) almost every day in the last couple of weeks (I missed 2 days), to check he's OK.     My mum and my brothers and I are all on a group chat,  and we check in each day, at eleast once a day.  One of my brothers reads the messages but doesn't often comment.  My brothers and I (and my husband) also have a separate chat so we can talk about things where we don't want to bother/worry mum.  Most of the talk is about the Virus, or related to it or the lockdown.

We had a cat related shock yesterday. Lewis came flying over the fence into the garden.  We don't know how he got out, we didn't even know he was out.  The camera that is trained on the cat flap, for this exact purpose, had run out of battery.

Later, when we went to bed,  he had Shelby by the scruff of the neck,  and I'm sure he was trying to get in to position to  mate with her.   Luckily she's spayed! She carried on sitting next to him after we separated them, so I don't think she was too bithered about it.  Perhaps she thought it was part of their normal kitten rough and tumble.  

I hope the Vets open before too long so we can get him "sorted out".

We're only a couple of days in to this latest lockdown phase,  so the death toll is going to continue to rise for weeks until the lockdown starts to take effect.







Followers