Wednesday 18 March 2020

short Ribs

Recently we decided to eat some of the larger, older,  items in the freezer.   Last week we had a huge pork shoulder,  cooked for 7 hours a la Jamie Oliver.   Gorgeous, moist,  roast pork for 2 days,  pork for the cat,  and   then pork in tomato sauce with rice.   We had much larger portions than normal,  it's been ages since we had a full roast. 

 This week, it was beef short ribs,  cooked in my Instant Pot Evo Plus,  following Nom Nom Paleo's recipe.  No added water,  no burn message,  despite the tomato based sauce.

Her recipe was for 4.5 pounds of ribs,  and the picture showed many pieces.  Mine,  from Pipers Farm,   was half that and only 2 pieces. 

I made her Magic Mushroom Powder as a seasoning.   I did the ribs for 45 mins, and the meat was beautifully tender and falling off the bone in some places.

 I would add 5 mins next time so it was falling off the Bone everywhere.  I might also make it a day in advance,  as she does, so the fat can separate and be peeled off.  I used a gravy separator jug,  which worked quite well.

I served it with home made aligot mash. This was heated from solid frozen in the air fryer.  It was about 20 mins at 150 and then 5 mins at 170. 

Very happy.  

Followers