Tuesday, 3 May 2016

Spring Clean

Much later than normal, I did the first spring clean of the allotment chook houses yesterday.   The large shed, the home made monster coop, even Mrs' old coop, all got emptied,  Poultry Shielded,  dried,  and dusted with both Stalosan and copious amounts of Diatom..

We've got a lot of hens broody at the same time.   The monster coop has 6 lovely nestboxes, 3 each side,  and 5 of these had broody girls in, all chirruping and growling.    The shed has 3 large mini-coops in to act as nest boxes, and 2 of these had girls in.    

Mrs' coop had all the eggs in.  We had been thinking of getting rid of it, so it's probably just as well we didn't.

While I was waiting for the coops to dry, I scrubbed and disinfected the drinkers and the water butts. Then I disinfected all the brushes.      We had only just enough Aubiose to refill the nestboxes and line the poo trays.

It took about 3 hours in all, and I could hardly walk when I got home. I'dmanaged to get a big blister on one heel, and my back was killing me.

But at least it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers