The finished pencil case would be 10 inches across by 6 inches high. It's a US design, hence the ancient measurements. I had to use one of the largest hoops for the machine. It requires soluble stabiliser, and I felt a pang of "what a waste" as I hooped it up. The stuff isn't cheap, the hoop is enormous and used a lot of it, and it only needs to be soluble because of the zip. I gritted my teeth and carried on.
I had trouble with the first lining piece. It wouldn't stay stuck to the stabiliser, no matter how much masking tape I applied. I gave in and dug out my adhesive spray - I hate using it, it gums up the needle and the hoop. I put the hoop back on,
The front piece fell off. I retrieved it from the floor, stuck it back on, and started to sew. As it sewed, I could tell something wasn't right. I'd put it in the wrong place.
I stopped the machine, took the hoop off, and attempted to unpick the stitching - a challenge on soluble stabiliser. I turned the fabric round, re-stuck it, did the sewing.
Next step, fold back the front piece and now sew any personalisation. I ran downstairs to the computer, added personalisation (initials in outline, so she can colour those in too), sent the design back to the machine, ran back upstairs. Sewed the initials. Hmm. My folding back wasn't as good as it could have been.
Took the hoop off, turned it over, and discovered that there was a kink in the fabric on the back. I swore, loudly. I unpicked the stitching, re-stuck the fabric, put the hoop back on.
And then realised I couldn't restitch. I'd put initials on the front, which meant I couldn't turn the fabric back over. I could sew the line, it would mean that the stitching showed. That's not great, but it's not the end of the world. What IS the end, is that it would look odd, stitching on one side only.
I swore again. I looked at it all and decided there was only one thing to do.
Cut another piece of fabric, and start again.