Sunday 19 February 2023

Win, lose or drawer

After a few not so good weather days, today dawned bright and sunny.   

I wasn't quite up to doing Spring cleaning,  but I did make a good stab at a fairly thorough "swish and swipe" of the kitchen.  I also reviewed two of the freezer drawers, making 3 done in total since Friday.  These days I take the wins I can.

One of today's drawers was the "Ready Meals" drawer.  Whenever we cook something like a curry, or casserole,  we cook double and freeze the spare in two-meal portion sizes.  I binned something marked as "no idea" , where the bag was blown and the contents didn't look great.   I also binned some ancient soup, which were also in blown bags.     I wish I knew which brand of vacuum seal bag was doing this,  it's so annoying!

I took out some beef casserole, and some aligot mash, for dinner tonight. 

From the "Not Beef" drawer,  I removed 4 x 250g packs of mutton mince, which I'll turn into Shepherds Pie mince tomorrow.      I've got quite a lot of cubed mutton as well, so I'll aim to make something with it later  in the week.  I also found - and  reminded DHabout - a pack of calves liver and a pack of venison mince, both of which are for him not me.

The drawers have been cleaned and stuff is currently well arranged (that'll last 5 minutes I expect !).   I've got space to bring some pork and sausages in from the chest freezer.  I need to excavate to the bottom of that to see what pork joints are out there, as I guess it may be pig time soon.    

It's not too difficult, as I keep stuff organised in bags-for-life.   Rather than excavating many individual items, I just pull out the whole bag (for example, there's a a bag of diced pork,  a bag of minced pork,  a bag of frozen chips etc etc) .   It's on my "to do" list.  I may even actually do it!

I've also got doors and windows open to let the fresh air in.  It really does feel like Spring.


I was browsing selling sites earlier in the week - the day I was feeling really quite well (was that Wedneday? I can't remember).    I bought a couple of "bargains",  and both of them turned out to be really good buys.

One was an updated version of my Severin milk frother,  which I had been looking at buying new for some time (but couldn't justify the expense).   It's lovely, well worth the money, and even lovelier because it was a bargain.

The second was a new keyboard.  Again, I'd been looking at these since I decided not to back them (or something like them) on Kickstarter.    Again, I couldn't justify the cost of a new one.  There were lots of them available, many new unused and a great price,  but they weren't the colour and key combination that I really wanted.

And then I saw a really lovely baby blue one.  It wasn't really the blue that appealed to me, it was the round, white, keys.  it was a good price, and I bought it.    It arrived the next day, and I've been using it ever since. 

I love that I can connect it to my laptop, my phone AND my tablet, and I can stand the phone or the tablet on it.  Shiny!

I imagine that the noise of the keys will be driving DH a bit nuts, although I guess it helps him know what I'm up to even when he's in a different room :-)

 


 





Followers