Tuesday 7 February 2023

Kev vs. Sugar

I'm struggling with sugar cravings at the moment.   

I'm guessing the Kefir may be working, and the "bad bacteria" in my gut are demanding sugar to support them.   It's so hard to resist. 

I've gradually  increased the amount of Kefir I'm drinking, and for the last couple of days I've been drinking about 180ml.  I keep Kevin in a 250ml Weck jar, with just the glass lid on, no rubber seal.   He lives on the kitchen worktop. 

I was just about to type "this works well, unless the jar gets knocked over" .   I don't remember when we last knocked the jar over,  but I can bet that it will happen now I've thought about it.   And I don't have any backup grains.

I used to keep him in a 500ml jar, but I stopped drinking Kefir, and it was taking a lot of milk to keep him going.  He moved to his new jar some time ago, and it seems to be working well.  I also changed the routine, and the new system is working really well.    I strain him in the evening before I go to bed, and I put the strained milk in a cup in the fridge, ready for me to drink first thing in the morning.  Then I put Kev in a clean jar and cover him in fresh milk.

 He's been quite prolific this way, despite the cold weather.  The strained milk tastes better, and is a little thicker, after its "overnighting". 

 I've been discarding the excess grains, I got rid of a load just a couple of days ago. (Slaps forehead).

I hope that Kev remains prolific for a few days so that I can take some grains and freeze them.

Just in case.

 

 


Followers