Sunday 22 January 2023

Wild Girls

The Girls are getting a bit wild. ("Wild?, I was absolutely livid!")   It's been a tough few years,I need to spend time getting them tame again.

3 of them - Violet, Elizabeth and Bott - have never been particularly tame.  They were allotment girls, and right from the when they were hatched, Had Views about being picked up.  We always try and respect the girls wishes so, once they were at the allotment, we handled them only when necessary.

2 of them, Fay and Fleur, were about 10 weeks old when I got them. They came from a breeder who didn't handle them at all.   Fleur, a big heavy Cuckoo Marans, doesn't like being picked up.;  Fay, hates it and shrieks like mad.   They are  rising 8 years old now, and Fay is mellowing a bit.   Sometimes, sometimes, she lets me pick her up.  Then she remembers that she hates it, and shrieks.

Poppy, who is now rising 11,  is one of my favourite girls.  She used to tolerate being picked up,  but now she won't have it at all

Even Astrid, My Rising 4 year old leghorn, has stopped being tame.  She used to be very happy to be picked up, cuddled, stroked.    She's the one I'd have to start with, if I was going to try and retame them.

I need good weather. 

And I need no Flockdown.

Followers