Friday 20 January 2023

That's torn it


I've started to  feel a lot of sym/empathy for people who get taken in by health claiming scans.

I've got an ongoing issue, which it's proving difficult to get a diagnosis for.    When it's really bad, I find i'm willing to consider the  most ridiculous things to try and help - even when I know that they can't possibly work.   Luckily, I usually manage to stop myself.

A while ago, I started to wonder if my mattress is contributing to my problem. 

It's a firm, memory foam type mattress.  We went for a mattress upgrade when we ordered our adjustable bed,  but I don't know who the mattress manufacturer is.   It wasn't cheap.

Anway,  it was a straw worth clutching,  so I did some research,  spent a lot of time in two bed shops (one of whom gave me shockingly incorrect information) and I ended up ordering a new mattress. 

It transpired that we are a little restricted in choice because we have an adjustable bed.  We had sepnt  couple of hours in a local posh bed shop, with me trying various mattresses.  I'd narrowed it down to 3 Hypnos mattresses, and we asked the salesman for some advice.   He told me (correctly) that Hypnos mattresses aren't suitable for adjustable beds.  He also told me ( incorrectly, I later discovered) that it isn't possible to have a pocket sprung mattress on an adjustable bed, they used to sell adjustable beds, and he suggested Tempur and Mammoth mattresses instead.

I knew I didn't want Tempur,   and I wasn't sure about Mammoth.  It was OK, but a lot of money for "OK". ,  I wanted to do some more research - the info on the advertising aroubnd that particular bed was all headlines and no detail, so I left and did some research online when I got home.

The mattress he recommended sounded good, but I found the website was all fur coat and no knickers. No real solid information.   I was also interested that they didn't offer any sort of money-back-if-you-aren't-happy.  All the others that I looked at (Nectar, Caspar, Emma, can't remember the other one) offered some form of satisfaction guarantee, although the devil was in the detail with them, and not all satisfaction guarantees are created equal.

Eventually I decided to buy a Nectar mattress, partly because of its 365 day no quibble returns policy.   If I hated it, I could return it and get my money back (not just a store credit) I asked Nectar which of their to mattress types would be suitable for an adjustable bed, and they suggested any of their non hybrids. 

I really wanted to try it out before buying.    I'd tried a Tempur mattress in a shop once before, and knew as soon as I lay down that it wasn't for me.    I was concerned that these "bed in a box" mattresses would be like that.

I found another bed shop in a fairly local town had several Nectar variants in their showroom, so I went along to try them, with the intention of just ordering online when I'd reassured myself that it would probably be OK

The chap in the shop was really helpful.  He was surprised that the other shop had told me that pocket sprung mattresses weren't suitable for adjustable beds.  He explained that some companies produced pocket sprung mattresses specifically for adjustable beds, he explained how the springs were arranged differently, and showed me an adjustable bed in his showroom that had a pocket sprung mattress.

I was a bit fed up at this point.  I thought I'd made a decision, and now my decision was made on false information.   But I just couldn't face going through a round of trying mattresses again, especially as trying these mattresses (apart from the one he had) wasn't really possible,   In the end, I decided I'd go ahead and order the Nectar, on the basis that I could return it if it didn't work out. 

The chap had been so helpful that I couldn't bring myself to just leave and order online.   I bought it through him instead.   I regretted it a bit when he said it would be 2 weeks (because of the bank holiday), when online it was a 3-4 day delivery (so, say, a week with the bank holiday).

He phoned at the 2 weeks point and told me it had arrived and would be delivered on Wednesday.

The delivery was great. Two man service, lovely chaps.

We had the box in our spare room. Unpacked it, unwrapped it, and put it on top of the spare bed to de-gas and to come back into shape.   The leaflet said it could be slept on in 3–5 hours, and it would take about 48 hours to fully decompress.

We left it alone until this morning.   It looked much better decompressed, and I decided to put it on the bed this morning, ready for bed this evening.

It was quite heavy, despite just being a 3ft single, so it took both of us to move it.  I lifted my end by the handle.....and the cover ripped at the bottom. 

I've learned over the last 18 months of being unwell that 'not saying anything because it doesn't really matter' sometimes comes back to bite me on the bum.    I could just imagine me deciding to return this mattress, and then having a problem because the cover is torn.

So I wrote a polite email to the shop to let them know.  I explained that I wasn't writing to complain,   I just wanted them to pass the information back to Nectar.   At least I'll have a record then, that this happened the first day.

I do have some hand sewing needles somewhere, but I'm not sure where.  I remember seeing them when I was reorganising the sewing area, and I remember lobbing them somewhere because I never use them. 

Hopefully I can find them, and effect a repair to stop the split getting worse.  Shame I can't use an iron because I have a lot of ironable interfacing that would effect a neat repair.

Never mind. 

I hope the mattress helps. 






 

Followers