Thursday 19 January 2023

One spoonful is never enough

I added this to my Iceland online shop the other day.  I've never seen a 1kg tin of it before.

After I’d unpacked the shopping, I looked at the enormous tin and tried to work out what to do.   I added some dessicated coconut to my upcoming  grocery order, so I could make coconut castles.  I remembered making them with my mum, using a metal egg cup as a mould, and dividing the mixtue in 2 so we could colour one half pink. 

 I put the unopened tin in the larder, to wait for the dessicated coconut to arrive in a few days time. Unopened is safe.

And then, a couple of days ago, madness overtook me.  I opened the tin, and took out a heaped teaspoon full.  It was very runny, as it always is before its refrigerated.   I put the spoon in the dishwasher, and got a clean one out, and had another spoonful.    I searched for a suitable lid.

I found a rubber lid that fitted the tin,  Another clean spoon, another spoonful, Ii managed to get the lid on and got the tin into the fridge befire I'd finished . I hid it at the back.

Yesterday, I got it out to have just a spoonful.  I managed to get the lid back on after 2 spoons (a clean spoon each time, of course.  No double dipping in my house.).  This time the gooey gunk was a little thicker, the refrigeration was setting it.

Today, I had a banana instead.  And then I had two spoons. It's thick enough now that it's possible to scoop quite a large amount on to one spoon. Lid on, while I was eating the second spoonful, back in the fridge.

I can't believe I ean still eat it like this, at my age.   It's so sweet and, frankly, sickly.    I know it is.   I don't have a particularly sweet tooth anymore,  and it's far too sweet really.   

 I think the lure of it is that it takes me back to my childhood.  To the blue and white tins of Fussells.  

As a child, and having a diet with an abundance of sweets, I could eat huge amounts of it without being sick.   Back then, I'd have it on bread as well,  a condensed milk sandwich was heaven.   Less was more, because too much and the condensed milk would start to leak through the bread.  Sometimes, more was more - and then I would get a sugar headache.

I can't be trusted around a tin of the stuff, which is why I don't buy it.   I can't imagine why I thought a 1kg tin would be a good idea. It's not like I'm naive enough to think that I would ration myself to one spoonful every few days. Or even a spoonful a day. 

 I know exactly what I'm like. 

The dessicate coconut arrives soon, and I'll aim to make something.  I'd like to make it on the day that Miss Teen comes so I can send some of the coconut things back with her,   

I will be strong.   

I will try.

Otherwise I'll make myself sick!

 


 

 


Followers