Saturday 3 December 2022

Bad health, Good Elf

Yesterday was almost a wipeout.

We were due to go and see Elf The Musical, in London, with DSD and DGD,vvMiss Teen came to stay on Thursday night. She wasn't at school on Friday, it was an INSET day.  I told her to bring her  homework.

All went well on Thursday,

On Friday, I woke up with an apalling headache, not a migraine.   I was threw up, a lot,  but couldn't shift it.  I took paracetomol (I can't take Ibuprofen) and went back to bed to try and sleep it off.

It didn't go.

The pain lessened a bit.  I got up at about 2pm and had a long shower.  So long that I emptied the hot water tank.  I then sat on the side of the bed, trying to work out if the headache was eased enough for me to think about going to London.    I knew that DH would step in if he really had to, but he hates musicals and hasn't quite mastered the art of faking it.

I spent about an hour sitting on the side of the bed, flexing and stretching.    In the end, I got dressed and went downstairs.  I had a banana and some cordial,  and I managed to keep that down.  I did a covid test,  just in case, and I also did a DDimer blood test (which I fully expected to be negative, but because of the nature of the headache I wanted to make sure).

DH drove us to the station (I decided driving was a bad idea).   We were going from a station I hadn't used for 40 years,  and we were going to be using the Elizabeth Line all the way to the theatre, no changes.

It was marvellous.

The station is right by the theatre (you can hear and feel the trains underneath, actually!),  so getting there and getting back was just easy.     

We'd planned to go to Pizza Pilgrims, but I couldn't face the thought of eating cheese.   Miss Teen suggested Five Guys.  so we went there and just had small burgers and small chips. And their delicious milk shakes.  It took me ages to drink mine.  It was lovely,  but I was worried that I'd make myself ill.  I was sipping it in small amounts to see how I got on

We then found somewhere to sit and have pudding and a drink with DSD and DGD,  and they arrived with plenty of time to spare.  We caught up, the girls chatted a bit.  It was lovely to see them.

And then the show.

I was sat behind a tall chap with a large head, who had a habit of tilting his head to the right hand side.  Or putting his right arm up and scratching his head!  It was better that I was in that seat rather than the others though.

My view

View from the seat next to mine
The show itself was much, much,  better than I expected, really enjoyable, and it made me want to watch the film again.   The chap playing Buddy (or playing Will Ferrell playing Buddy) was really, really, good at it.

Afterwards, we were back on the platform with plenty of time to spare before our train departed - and it was again a no-change train. 

DH picked us up from the station, and we dropped Miss Teen at her home. She had to get up early to go to work at the stablesthe next day.   We went home and I crawled into bed,   happy that I'd held it together but desperate for sleep.

This morning,  I had a small headache when I woke up.  I stayed in bed for a while, and when I eventually got up, the headache had gone.

I've eaten without being ill, so that's good news.

I'd definitely use the Elizabeth Line to go into London theatre land again.

 

 


Followers