Monday 28 October 2019

In other (random) news

I have needed to keep my leg elevated at night for some months now. 

It hasn't been practical to raise the end of the bed so, at the suggestion of the consultant,  I had been packing under the mattress with a princess-and-the-pea arrangement of pillows.   It has worked well,  and we taked about maybe getting an adjustable bed.

Our horrible, waste of a vast amount of money, Technogel mattresses have been bearable since I bought a fab wool mattress topper (Devon Duvets),  and we hadn't had any plans to change them at the moment.

By chance,  an ad for an adjustable frame which fits inside an existing frame popped up in my Facebook feed.   It turned out to be an American thing, and I couldn't find the equivalent in the UL.  It did make me look at adjustable beds though,  and I found that the choice was considerably better than when we last looked many years ago.

We drove a reasonable distance to check out the beds and the mechanisms and the mattresses.  The mechanisms and mattresses were fine,  but the beds just weren't up to the quality of our existing bed. 

The lovely company checked out our existing bed, and confirmed that it wasn't going to be possible to insert their mechanism into it. 

Their metal frames looked flimsy in comparison (plus one of the options we'd had meant that they were out of the picture anyway),  I can't stand divan beds,  and I'm not keen on wooden beds either.

We took a couple of days to talk through what to do.  I really liked the idea of an adjustable bed, but I didn't want to give up my gorgeous Nights in Iron bed. 

DH wasn't so sure that the mechanism wouldn't fit.  He thought that he might be able to make some mods to either the bedframe or the lifting frame to get it to work.   We decided we'd order a bed, and then DH could see if he could do anything.  He and I managed to agree on wooden bed from their range that would be an OK fallback.

 We placed our phone order.  All the bits to make the bed to our spec were available,  they had a van delivering to our area in a couple of days,  so it all happened quite fast.

As we watched them install the new bed, we realised that there was no way that our fabulous ron frame was going to work with it.    It's too big and heavy to store anywhere, so we're having to sell it.      If I ever go back to a normal bed,  my first choice would be exactly that bed again.





We've had the adjustable one for  few nights now, and it's working well.  We#re used to having 2 3 foot mattresses,  although our previous ones had a protector on to make them feel like one 6 foot mattress.  Because we are both using the head raising option, at different heights, in addition to me using the foot raising option, we've had to get separate sheets for the two 3 foot mattresses. It doesn't feel as odd as I thought it might.

We have 7 nights to confirm that we are happy with the mattresses.

 It's looking good so far.



Followers