Monday 28 October 2019

In other (sewing) news

I finally managed to clear the table AND do some cutting out.

I've made a new-size pair of leggings, waistband only basted on. in some lovely halloween scuba.   I'm waiting to see Miss Tween so we can see how they fit.

I've also made a really lovely looking raglan sleeved top.  Well, the fabric choices are lovely - glow in the dark green spider webs on a black background, for the front,  and bright green for the back, sleeves, and neckband.    However,  I printed the wrong pattern (Bella Sunshine Reagan Raglan), instead of one I've made before.

This pattern has asort of crossover V neck, which I haven't done before. It's mostly OK.  The inside is a bit of a mess,  but I keep telling myself it's only a test garment, and my next one will be better.  On the plus side,  I might not have actually made htis pattern if I hadn't printed it in error, so that's a win.

I've printed out the correct raglan pattern now (Patterns for Pirates Jolly Roger Raglan), which I've made before in a smaller size.  I've also sorted out some fabric for it,  I just need to try and get on with it before my sewjo takes another holiday.

I also had the urge to make her a Dolman sleeved top.  I looked through my enormous stash of patterns,  and the only Dolman for youngsters is an A4 version.  I don't have the energy for printing and sticking, so that won't be happening any time soon.   I did look at the adult's version,  but the sizing is too off, even on the smallest sizes.   If I can find a free or cheap PDF A0 version, I might buy it.

Pattern Emporium launched two adult tee shirt patterns recently.  I don't need tee shirt patterns (I don't really need any  patterns!),  but they were doing a special bundle discount, and if I bought other patterns I got them at lots of money off too.  So I ended up buying 5 patterns (2 tee shirts, 2 trousers, 1 shorts).

A few weeks ago I decided to print out all my A0 PDFs, to keep safe in case the A0 printer broke,  They are all hanging beautifully from hang-a-plan hangers, organised in alphabetical order.   When I was printing them, it made me confront just how many patterns I had,  and how few I had actually made.    Almost all of the patterns were for the types of clothes I'd like to make,  and most of them were bought when the designer had a sale (and after spending time  in my cooling off bookmark folder  "Patterns I'm considering Buying" ).

I then realised that pattern buying was a bit like fabric buying... a completely separate hobby to making things.   That was a very comforting thought.     It made me feel much better, and less guilty (that I shouldn't need them because of my Surefit Designs blueprint).

I'm going to have to split the adult sized patterns  into two hang-a-plan hangers.  Technically they all fit on one,  but it is blooming heavy to lift off the hook,  AND having them split onto two hangers would make inserting newly purchased patterns a tiny bit easier.  Not that I'm planning on buying any more, of course.   

If the clothes fit Miss Tween I'll take photos and post in the next couple of days.

   

Followers