Monday 28 October 2019

Ashes

We had the expected phonecall from the Vet last Tuesday, to say that Wash's ashes were ready for collection.

I said I'd collect the next day.  So, on Wednesday,  I braced myself,  and collected the ashes.  DH was out until mid afternoon, so I did it as part of a circular tour doing errands in the morning.

It was a big box.  When Maddie was cremated 12 (?) years ago,  we had a small box which was just big enough to conain the ashes.  This was huge in comparison.    I put it on the table,  waiting for DH to get back.

Later,  we opened the box together.  Inside, there was a smaller box, locked into a cut out in the big box.  Inside that, was a plastic bag containing the ashes.   Underneath the smaller box was an organza drawstring ba which intelsf contaimed a folded plastic bag. .  We thought that maybe the idea was to double bag the ahes, and then put them in the organza bag.

I opened the organza bag and pulled out the plastic bag, to do just that. 

Inside were clippings of Wash's fur.

It was completely unexpected.

Caught unawares,  a surge of emotion.


I opened it again just now,  to take the picture.  It was OK this time.

Followers