Saturday 20 May 2017

Small person

My cousin and his lovely wife went away for a week to celebrate a significant birthday.  We looked after their daughter (T), who is 9.  

An interesting week followed.   School, or at least, school rules have changed quite a bit since I was T's age.  I had a pass to enter school grounds, the gate was not unlocked until 8.17,  and was open until 8.40.  I needed adaily pass to permit me to collect my charge at the end of the day,  and her mother and I had visited the school previously so this could all be recorded. .  Homework had to be downloaded from the school's extranet site.   The stuff T was allowed - and not allowed - to take in in her bag was very strict.

I made a spreadsheet to tell me what time to drop her off, what I had to make sure was in her bag for each day,  what time to collect her,  and what after school activities I had to take her to.

It worked well.

I was surprised at the school dress code.  They are uniformed, which is good.  What I wasn't too happy about is that the Girls have to wear skirts in the winter, and summer dresses in the summer/. They are not allowed to wear trousers, unless on religious grounds.  I really think this stinks.   Firstly,  why should girls have to wear skirts/dresses?  Why can't they wear trousers if they want to?   And secondly,  that just makes the girls who wear trousers on religious grounds stand out.   That's not right either.

Still, she's not my daughter, it's not my school, so I didn't say anything.

Getting up in time to be showered before making sure T was up was a shock to the system.  We knew the traffic was going to be bad (major roadworks) but we weren't sure how bad.  Day 1, we arrived and had to sit in the car for 5 minutes before walking to the school gate (there is no parking at the school), and then we still had to wait for the gate to be opened.  Day 2, we left 5 minutes later. Day 3 we intended to leave 5 minutes later still but accidentally left even later...we weren't late but we were later than we liked.     Day 4 and Day 5, we timed it perfectly.

I have no idea how her parents manage with all the after school activities.  We didn't even do them all! Her mum said we didn't have to do any of them, but we did take her to her swimming lesson one day,  and to her horseriding on another.

On the plus side,  my daily step count has been amazing.  And don't my poor feet know it!    I should have taken advantage of it,  but I didn't.. I just stuffed choccy biccies.   Next time, I'll make sure I have healthy snacks ready for me.

I made her a couple of bits while she was here.  Firstly, a little cross-body bag to hold her phone. It has a little zippered purse bit too.


Another day, when she had the sniffles,  I made her a matching zippered tissue pouch to match (but I failed to take a picture).

Finally, I made her a test pair of leggings.  They were OK, but not quite right - so we'll make another pair another time.

She's already invited herself to stay for part of half term, and I'm really pleased that she has.



Followers