Sunday, 7 May 2017

I've been trying to...to... sort myself out and give myself a bit of a kick to get moving instead of mo[ing.

I bit the bullet, and adapted the Blueprint (A1)  I'd made at my recent sewing retreat to make myself a top with a gathered neckline (instead of a bust dart).  I made it in a stretch fabric and, even  so,  I put the original waist and shoulder darts in.

My dart sewing was spot on,  I was really proud.  Unfortunately, I made a couple of silly errors, and I put it down and left it a day or so before I came back to it and attempted to salvage it.

It came out OK, definitely wearable. Bit baggy - or "tunic style" as I am callinh it - but that was to be expected as I didn't adjust the sizing.  The front , back and sleeve were stuck on to Tailor's Card (along with a fabric sample)  for posterity, and clearly labelled as "A2"

I immediately started working on another adaptation, this time removing the waist darts but to leave everything else the same. I then cut out fabric for a second version,  and waited a day to start construction.   I used the same fabric as the first so I could compare and contrast the fit,  without having different fabric potentially blurring things.

I used my coverstitch machine, and it did a grand job of the hems and the sleeves. 

It also came out well enough to be wearable, so I taped the pieces to card and labelled them as A3.

Of course I'll need to trace them off if I want to use them again,  but that's OK.  If I find a fit I really love I'll make a card template.

My next foray will be another adaptation. This time (probably) a sort of peasant-blouse-style neckline.  I'll use a less stretchy fabric, so I'll probably need to use the A2 version of the bodice and maybe just not sew the darts.  It depends how much ease there will be.

I might wait a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers