Thursday, 11 May 2017

Prevention

We are so very late doing our first preventative spray of the coops for this year.

Things have been a bit up and down, and it's just got pushed back and back and back.  I decided at the weekend that today (Thursday) would be The Day, unless it was raining.

It didn't rain.  I donned my shower cap (to protect me from drip shilst spraying the inside of the shed roof). It took about 2 and a half hours, and the weather was kind to us.  The shed and the two coops were complely emptied, and checked for signs of red mite.  None, thank goodness.

I used the knapsack sprayer to spray everything with Poultry Shield.   While that was drying, I sprayed the nest boxes, and the bits of the Cube, and the roosting bars.  The poo trays were all cleaned and disinfected,  and the drinkers were sterilised too.  

It was non stop.

By the time I'd done my spraying,  and rinsed and refilled the drinkers,  two of the coops were dry enough to be Stalosaned.  WHile I left that to make sure there wasn't any unseen liquid anywhere,  I put the brushes into a bucket with some Milton.      The Stalosan stayed dry,  so I then Diatomed the corners, the crevices,  and all over the place.   Finally,  I put Aubiose in the poo trays and in the nest boxes (along with a bit more Diatom).   By the time that was done, the shed was dry enough, so more Stalosan,  then Diatom.   The nestboxes went back in (Stalosan and Diatomed),  and then the poo trays.  Then Aubiose.


Last year I bought a couple of powder shakers from Flyte So Fancy, and these worked really well for the Satlosan and Diatom.  I've tried numerous things over the years, and these have worked out the best.


When all was done, we hung up new fly papers in the shed.

I was covered in stuff, but I'm so happy its done.

Just the Garden Girls coops to do now.  Sunday.  Weather permitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers