Wednesday 2 May 2012

Sulky Girls

Milly (Cream Legbar) and Florence (Australorp) are continuing to be broody.  If one of the other Girlies lays an egg in the nestbox, both of them squash in to try and mother it.

Every morning, and much to their very vocal disgust, I hoik them out. They each reward me with a torrent of verbal abuse and an enormous, indescribably vile smelling,  broody poo.


The abuse continues while they walk around the garden, walk into the run, eat food, drink waterm scratch around,  seek out the non-broody girls to bully them, and eventually go make their way back to the nestbox.


If the weather is dry, I hoik them out several times during the day, and the routine is repeated.  I just come in and shut the kitchen door so I don't have to hear them whinge.


Florence has taken to grippng the side of the egg port with her superstrong talons when I try and get her out. I'm getting quite adept at easing them off and outting my hand in its place so she grips me instead (wince).


Yesterday, they both came out of their own accord when I was scattering corn, and I was hopeful that the broody spell might be broken. 

But this morning, it was back to "normal". 







Followers