Saturday 3 February 2024

A stitch in time

It's been a trying week.

We spent 6 hours in A&E last Saturday,  getting home at about 2.30am on Sunday morning.   I was due to travel to see my Mum on Sunday,  and my brother arranged to come later than we originally planned to gave me time to try and sleep (and to see how my leg was).  DH had an event  booked for Sunday, but he had to cancel: there was no way he could manage the early start.

We had arranged to spend three nights with my Mum, and she really needed it.  We were able to help her with a few things that needed doing,and we took the dog to the vets while we were there to get a problem sorted.  We were a bit worried that it would not be good news, but we were lucky.

It was Mum's birthday while we were there, and this was one of the reasons we chose this time to visit and to spend so long there.  We went out to dinner,  with her best friend.   Mum had a few hours where she was able to think about something other than my Dad, and to just have a good time. It did her the world of good.

The no-attendance cremation was on Wednesday.  We should have picked a time where we would assume Dad had been "done", but we didn't think of it.    Wednesday night Mum had a better night's sleep than she'd had for ages, and that was probably because the cremation was out of the way.  The next Thing will be for her to collect Dad's ashes.

I found I wasn't able to do my recommended exercises, because they all pulled on my stitches.  I also wasn't able to shower, so I had to have a strip wash each morning.  On Sunday morning, before my brother arrived to collect me,  I'd cut a towel into 4 large flannels, and overlocked the edges. They worked well.    (The overlocker wasn't very well though, so that's got to go in to be looked at next week). 

We came home Wednesday evening, and I was surprised at how tired I was. My brother had, as usual, done all the driving.

Thursday was the Dentist, and we only just got there in time.  Except it wasn't, I had the date wrong. 

I also had a hair appointment, which was much needed.  

Friday was the day I'd been told to have the stitches out, and I had an appointment booked with the Nurse.   I think it was too soon really, Monday would have been better.

The Nurse taped over my wound, right angles to the gash. She then covered it with a clear waterproof square, so that I  could have a shower.  I spent ages in the shower on Saturday morning, soaking my aching back and shoulders.

I had to drive from my stitch removal straight to my Physio  and I really, really needed it.

Today we had to get up early (relatively speaking) as I had booked an Ocado delivery and we had Paul coming to do some work in the garden.      I'm off to a birthday party today, and I really don't feel like going anywhere.

 I'd like to just go back to bed.

It's another "busy" week next week, so I hope the leg improves,

 


Followers