Saturday 17 September 2022

Blocked

I'm feeling stuck.

I failed at making a tee shirt, using my (normally trusty) template.   I eventually made myself try the MyFit Tee from Apostrophe Patterns, which is a pattern generator. You put in the measurements, the stretch of the fabric, the style you want, and it pops out a pattern.    This wasn't great either.  I think I got the vertical stretch wrong. Or something.

I didn't try making anything else.  I've got a list of clothes to make, I just can't seem to get started.  Even bringing the overlocker downstairs didn't help,  although I did end up with a pile of spectacle cloths (from a Koh glass cloth), and a pile of small flannelly bits from an old towel.

I also have a pile of jigsaws to do, one or two of which I might even keep to hang on the wall.  I managed to investigate the options for that, and have earmarked what I want to buy to do it.  But the jigsaws remain untouched.

The blockage is also down to not enough space upstairs, and the pile for going in to the loft getting in the way.  The loft needs a bit of a declutter, and everything has ground to a halt.  I was struggling to break the cycle.

On the plus side, I decided that I'd give up my beloved Ergotron trolley.  I bought a (new to me) adjustable arm, and decided to clamp my laptop to the cutting table in the kitchen.  Not elegant,  but a potential step forward.    DH had to source a VESA plate for me, and cut it down, and it seems OK.  IK enough for us to lug the Ergotron upstairs, where it is too big to go anywhere.

This made me try to come up with a solution.    The solution is multi part and quite extensive, and I need to ponder on it some more to see if it's really going to work.  I don't mind going to the expense and upheaval if it works,  but I don't want to do it and then find I'm not much better off. 

Part of it involves a new, higher, bed in the guest room, and I've bought some bed raisers to do a trial to test the potential solution.    I was really lucky to find a set of £80 extenders going for £7.50 on Ebay.  I can't collect them until the middle of next week, so I'm trying to play at the edges for the next few days.

As part of that, I managed to go up in the loft and bring some bits down to sell/donate/bin.  Not a huge amount,  but a reasonable block.    A box of photo frames has been offered and collected.   I've got some other bits up for sale,  and I've got a medium pile of bits to go to the Tip. 

'm pretty sure that we will shortly find one of the cat feeders breaks, or the coffee machine goes on the fritz, as it's the "keep for spares" bit of those that are part of what's being taken to the tip.  

Of course I filled up most of the space I'd created immediately, by putting things like the fans up there.    We really do need to try and get up there and go through stuff - now that it's not "too hot" and before it gets "too cold".  I'm sure we could bite the bullet and get rid of a fair bit if we tried.  I'm sure we both look at each other's bits and think that.

I am going to try and measure (again) and try the tee shirt pattern again.  Maybe tomorrow.  I nearly bought some ready to wear ones yesterday, and that seems so silly (and plain tee shirts are quite expensive now).     If I can get this right, I can make a few and that will help with the fabric stash, so it'll be a double win. . {In my defence:  have already, recently, been through my stash and donated a humungous bag, kilos of fabric, to my DGD, and I am not ready to donate any of the remainder. Yet.}

I feel better that I got the fans out of the way, even though I have more stuff in the piles on the landing  now than when I started.   I'm quite good at not letting the additions bother me, because they are all advertised for sale (or free) and will be gone, one way or another, by the end of next week.

Onward.





Followers