Thursday 18 January 2024

Bit of a turn

I went to get some honey from a lady in a nearby village.  DH has been getting through loads of it, trying to alleviate the symptoms of his cough/cold.

I decided to pop in to Sainsburys, a bit further on, while I was out and about;  I could get eggs, unsalted butter,  and preserving sugar to do something with the bergamots,  stock up on Lemsip and Bronco Stop, and get some vegetables for the freezer.

Part way round the supermarket, I had a fairly urgent need to go to the toilet.  I went to the customer toilets, but they were blocked off.  I went and asked an assistant where the toilets where.  They are blocked, it's been reported, there aren't any toilets for customer use.

I could feel panic setting in.

I tried to work out where the nearest toilet would be, and decided it was probably Tescos down the road a way.   I realised I didn't have time to get my trolley through the checkout, so I abandoned it and left the shop.

I managed to get to the Tesco toilets without a mishap.   I decided I might as well do my shopping there, while I was there.    Here, I had to put a poind in the trolley, so I had to go back to the car to find a £1 coin.  And then the shopping was a fail.... they didn't have any form of jam sugar or preserving sugar,  theur eggs were rubbish,  they didn't have dishwasher salt (another thing on my list), they were sold out of BirdsEye Petits Pois.

It was a funny shop.   It was very echoey, and the deafness in my ear was playing tricks on me.   I found myself trying to do calming things,  and I was very close to abandoning that trolley as well.


In the end, I bought the shopping in Tescos, unloaded it in the car, took the trolley back to get my money back,   Then  I sat in the car for a bit, trying to regain a sense of calm.  When I eventually started the engine,  the display on the dashboard went doolally.  God knows how much this is going to cost to fix.  I probably won't bother, i can see the speedo, the temperature, and the fuel gauge.

I drove back to Sainsbury, retrieved my abandoned trolley, and bought that stuff too.   I still managed to forget a few items.

It had all taken a loooong time, and I was so glad to get home.

 


Followers