Friday 19 January 2024

Bergamot Curd

I made bergamot curd today. 

I used the quantities suggested in Catherine Phipps excellent Citrus book, but made it in my Magimix CookExpert.

The Bergamots didn't really smell very ...well.. bergamotty; and then  I started to zest them.  The scent was lovely, although still not quite reminiscent of Earl Grey tea,.   When i'd juiced the ones I needed,  I ate a little bit of the pulp. 

It wasn't sharp like lemon, and it wasn't sweet like clementine.     It reminded me more of grapefruit

I even remembered to sieve it as I poured it into hot jars. I'd prepperd 4 jars, but only needed two.   The eggs I bought were Medium, and I probably should have bought large,  but it would only have made a small difference to the end volume.

I'm looking forward to eating some of the curd when it's cooled.

One of bergamots was needed just for its juice, not the zest.  Thinking I'd store some for later use,  I peeled some of the zest off using a potato peeler. It still extracted some of the pith, which means I'll have to clean it up if I'm going to use it in marmalade.

Then I thought I'd try the long, thin, woodworker-tool-like, microplane zester.  That did a fab job of removing small, thin, shards of zest without pith.  It's now all in a tub to add to marmalade (if I can keep motivated and do it),

I don't think I'm ready to make marmalade today, maybe tomorrow.



Followers