Wednesday 23 August 2023

Derail (Miss Teen and Cobra Kai)

The implementation of my Plan started really well.

Saturday was super-productive,  

Sunday went well.  Lunch out was lovely,  it was a really good roast dinner.  Many places that do roasts tend to struggle with quality, ir's difficult to keep vegetables etc in good condition.    I make a really good roast dinner (I'm an okay cook, with just a few dishes where I'd say that I'd rather eat mine than a restaurant version),  and roasts out usually leave me underwhelmed.

Sunday's was lovely:  tender and rare roast beef,  a really well made yorkshire,  delicious cauliflower cheese,  perfect potatoes,  and a great mixed vegetable dish.  Thevergetables had not been sitting under heat lamps for ages, I would guess everything was part cooked and then finished off to order.  Very worth the rather expensive price tag, and as good as I could make at home.  If they did Christmas lunch (they don't), I'd book.

We'd hiked there,  a three mile walk including a very, very, very long uphill drag.  No alcohol needed.  We did get a taxi home, because the last half milet to the pub was downhill,  and neither of us fancied walking uphill immediately after coming out of the pub garden.

I did more bits and pieces on Sunday afternoon, and resisted the urge to bingewatch the last few episodes of Star Trek: Discovery.  

Miss Teen disrupted my plans somewhat.  She asked to come on Monday and go home Tuesday, so she could do some revision.    In the end, she arrived Monday lunchtime,  and wasn't doing revision at all, she was doing homework. 

I couldn't sew in the kitchen with her studying, so I worked on the computer, doing some other bits and pieces that needed doing (mostly relating to Frdiat's planned visit to see a new embroidery machine)     I'd thought about taking her to the Pictures to see Barbie (she'd mentioned wanting to see it) in the evening, and eating out, but she'd already been.   We had pasta for dinner, and then watched stuff on her Netflix.  We saw Paddington, which a great re-watch;  some rubbishy spy thriller;  and then I picked Cobra Kai, which picks up the Karate Kid story, 34 years on.

What a fantastic show!

We'd watched all the Karate Kid films with Miss Teen over the last few years.   Cobra Kai  has the same actors, and the transition is seamless.  The story was amazing.  Really well done, and it was a great interweaving with the original films.  I loved it because it made us root for Johnny, who was the nasty teenager in the first film.  If did this, not by giving us his sad backstory (although that did come in later episodes) but by making him a very normal guy. Not good, not bad,  just a person.   The juxtaposition - and the nods -  to the original film was great, there were many laugh out loud moments for people like us who had seen the original and recognised the nods.  Each episode was only about 30 minutes and no adverts,  so we watched a few and then went to bed. I could easily have just watched the whole series, it was so compelling.

Tuesday, Miss Teen got up late.  No studying was done, we ended up having several energetic games of Swingball.  I had to take her back in the early afternoon, so we then watched a little Cobra Kai.  It got better, and better, and better. No sensationalism.   There are 5 seasons of this (with a 6th underway), and I might have to get Netflix just so I can see the rest.  Im not adding another service, so it will have to wait until we've seen all we want to see on our currently subscribed service. 

I did complete some of my intended tasks.  Well, I did a charity shop run.  I resisted buying a really cute set of cups and jugs (but I'm still thinking about them).

And, also one of my intended tasks, I finally got the sprouting underway!

 I realised that I could use my old Kefirco jars to try sprouting, there was even a video suggesting this on their website.  i put the jars through the dishwasher on Monday, and  I put the seeds in to soak on Tuesday morning. I drained them on Tuesday night, and some of the sprouts have already started this morning!   I intend to start another batch tomorrow,  just in case it turns out that I like them.    

I went to bed really early last night, about 9pm.  I woke up full of life at about 4am, and decided to stay in bed. I woke up at 7 and had to get up, and I didn't put my mask back on. I had intended to just get up, but I didn't.   And now I feel like crap.     I took a look at my O2 recorder, and I could see just by the shape of the graph exactly when it was I took my mask off.   What a stupid thing to have done, I won't make that mistake again.

So it's now half past Wednesday.  I've had 2 cups of tea, fed the cats, let the chickens out, written this blog.  I haven't even showered yet.    I've got to get moving as I have a Chiro appointment this afternoon.

It's probably just as well, as I'm tempted to go back to bed for a bit.




 


Followers