Monday 15 March 2021

Unexpected consequences

I went to check on the Girls, as usual, after they had gone to bed.  

I check to see if anyone has not managed to get into a coop,  and I take a look and see who is in each coop.   After months of a mostly comsistent arrangement,  last night saw an unexpected change.

For a long time now, the  Green cube, out in what was once our fruit cage,  has housed 5 hens.  Four of the ex allotmenteers - the ones in the second evacuation, namely  Nora (oldest hen),  Katy (one of the 3 next oldest),  Big Bird, and Ping,  and also Fay.  Fay was temporarily at the allotment when some Girls were stolen, so she kind of had a foot in both camps.     She is low in the pecking order, and a very small, nervy, girl.

I had been very happy that she seemed to have found a place in the ex allotmenteer group. I have a soft spot for her.

Last night, however, she wasn't in the green cube.  She was in the purple cube, which is where most of the other girls go overnight.  [Poppy, another of the 2 second-oldest,  sleeps in the orange cube, sometimes on her own but often with a party hen, or a hen which has been denied access to the "in" crowd].

I was really surprised.

It could be that she just didn't get in before the Green Door closed.

It made me wonder whether her link to the Greenies was a friendship with Ping (who died yesterday). 

I'm interested to see what happens tonight.


Followers