Saturday 13 March 2021

Stubborn

We have a mezzanine outside our original Cube, built on the inside of the cube run. It was originally built for our Exchequeur Leghorn hen, Lotti, who had a deformed foot. She sometimes had trouble forcing her way in at night, so we built the mezzanine so she could wait there until she could get in.

In the summer, some of the girls like to camp out on the mezzanine.  Its also used as a waiting area, when the nest box is busy.

Tonight, one of the flat combed chickens was out on the mezzanine after the auto doors had shut. It was 6.15, and I assumed she hadn't been able to get in to her usual cube.  Fleur, a cuckoo Marans who has tunrned into a thug, has started sleeping in with the majority, and she likes to block others access.  I'm often finding odd bods bunking with Poppy in  her Cube.  Poppy's cube is the one with the mezzanine outside

I opened the coop door, and shone a torch and made encouraging noises,  She ignored me.  There is limited access to the mezzanine, all I could do was to gently prod her from the side.   She turned round, saw the open door, and just turned back again. 

This is unusual.  Usually a "party hen" (a stop out) will go in to the coop as soon as the door is open. 

I took the back off the Cube,  leant in and through, and tried to get her to come in,  She looked at me, but would not budge.  I left her to it.

At 1am, the wind was howling and it was raining hard.  I was worried that she might be regretting her decision, so I went out with a torch to see if she would go in.

I expected her to rush in when the door was opened.   She didn't.  

We had a repeat of the attempts from earlier in the evening, and she did not want to know.

I've had to give up.

There is a clear plastic sheet over the mezzanine,  I made sure as much if it as possible was covered.

I hope she is OK.

Followers