Wednesday 24 March 2021

Knitter Natter

Well, I finished my knitted infinity scarf!

it's got a few, erm,  holes. The knitting is a bit erratic (for example where I was meant ot be purling and I accidentally did some normal stitches),  and doesn't stand up to close scrutiny.  But,  it is the first item I've ever knitted, and I had to learn a whole load of techniques to do it.

I had the urge to knot becaise I accidentally won an Ebay auction for quite a few balls of  wool yarn.  The wool yarn was Sirdar Faroe, which feels lovely and was a plesanat pinky colour.  I'm not reall a pink person, but this was an acceptable variation.


So, I bought a pack of bamboo needles of various sizes from Amazon,  and had a go.   First, I had to learn how to cast on.     I did a few rows, and realised that I'd picked needles which were too small for the chunkiness of the wool. 

I abandoned this piece, on it's needles, and started again.  Later,  Shelby ate some of the wool yarn, like spaghetti, and DH had to pull it out of her throat.

My second attempt was quite acceptable really.  I quite liked it initially.   I realised after a few rows that I should have used  bigger needles.  I ordered some circular needles from Amazon, and transitioned.   I made a complete hash of the transition.

For my next attempt, I started with circular needles.   However, I just kept turning the kntting round when I got to the end of a row.   I thought that circular needles were just a way of holding a lot of stitches.  I used more than one ball of wool, so that was another thing I had to learn how to do.

I quite liked what I made, despite the flaws.

I wanted to learn how to purl,  and I found a good tutorial for an infinity scarf, knitted (properly) on circular needles.  I orered some larger circular needles, better quality, and tried again.

During the creation of my scarf I had to learn how to purl, and to mark my stitches.   The purling took a while for me to "master", I really struggled t get my head around it and I started again at least twice.   Now, of course, it seems very easy, and I can't see why it was such a challenge.

As expected, I had trouble maintaining the number of stitches.  I ended up with a lot more than I started with, despite dropping some along the way, which is because the wool was so fluffy and was multi stranded. 

I saw someone using a cat's head shaped marker.  I found a template on Thingiverse, and DH kindly 3D printed some for me.


There were multiple instances of where I should be purling and I accidentally knitted,  or vice versa.  This usually happened when I was trying to knit without watching what I was doing.    I had been using an elastic band to markthe beginning (so I knew where to change from knit to purl), but  I  lost it on more than one occasion. I'm sure it also contributed to my stitch multiplication.

After quite a few balls of wool yarn.  I decided it was time to stop adding rows and to finish it. I learned how to cast off.  It was a bit hit and miss, but I did it.  I then went back to my other attempt, which were all still on their various needles,  and cast off those as well.

I couldn't possibly use the finished knitting if I was making a jumper but, as it's a scarf,  I can and will wear it.

I started this because I had bought too much wool yarn, and just to see if I could do it. 

Ironically, I've now bought another 15 balls of the same wool yarn in a different colourway,  so I can try and make it again. Just to see if I can do it better this time. 

I did try a quick square with some very delicate yarn, Sirdar Firefly (which I had also bought in a large quantity, to use on my bnew Embellisher).    It was a bit of a disaster,  I'm not ready to handle that sort of yarn.

I'm not adding knitting to my list of active hobbies, but I would like to see if I can make something with fewer mistakes this time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total crafty things this year: 28

Sewing based makes: 16;
Inner pad for foot muff; make cover for foot muff;  trim down Superking Duvet to KS and recover edges;
Cushion cover for Miss T; Gift bags for Miss T and GDK;
Dressing Gown;
Cat Duvet, Duvet Cover and Pillowcase;
Cushion cover for living room;
Sleeveless tops (x4);
SBCC top
Overlocker chicken
Curtains for nest boxes (4, but counted as 1 make)

Learning activities: 10;
Scanning pattern pieces; Making movies; Babylock demo day; Gathering using my overlocker;    Euphy training (circles,using elastic in looper) Gail Yellen's binder course;
Inkscape 1; casting on;  purling; casting off

Non sewing based craft makes: 2
Knitted Infinity scarf

 






Followers