Thursday 13 February 2020

Onesie Funsie

When I was thinking about getting Shelby spayed, I did some research to find out if there was any alternative to the cone of shame.  I hate them with a passion.

I understand that we need to stop the cat licking her stitches,  but the cone is almost barbaric - it affects a cat's ability to see, hear, smell.   I'm not surprised many cats rip them off.

I saw a couple of things that would work.  I wanted to make sure I was able to get something in good time,  sobefore I booked the appoitment I asked my Vet abut them.  It turned out that my Vet offers Onesies as an alternative to a cone, if we wanted.

Yes, I did!

When we colected Shelby yesterday, she had a really sweet, red, onesie on.    When we got her out of the bag at home,  she tried to stand up and she couldn't.  She fell over.  She walked backwards.  She didn't like this thing that was on her one little bit.    She rwminded me of Wash when we first put a jacket on him.

I felt sorry for her, but I knew it was better than a cone.

She spent the first few hours on the rug in front of the fire.  Lewis was very gentle,  He lay near her,  he nuzzled her, he touched her with his paw.  He left her be.

I lay down next to her for a while, stroking her head, cheeks and chin.  She purred for me, so I felt happier.

She woke up and had 10 minutes of boisterous play, and then zonked out again.

After the boisterous play,  Lewis tried to play more,  and we had to keep warning him to leave her alone.  She dozed for a while, then woke up and had something to eat (although she wasn't too keen on the recovery food),   was active for a bit, and then we went to bed.

 I didn't hear them in the night, so I assume she spent most of the night sleeping.  Or I slept heavily (I'm under the weather myself).


This morning, she was bright eyed and bushy tailed,  and was running around without any cares in the world. 

The Onesie is quite well designed.  It's been adapted so it fits round her legs so she can still go to the toilet.  She can move her legs freely, and she's been able to get up and down on and off things

She's rejected the recovery food and has been eating a small amount of raw food. 

She's currently dozed off on the sofa.  Her pain relief will have worn off very soon, so it will be time to give her some Metacam shortly.









Followers