Wednesday 17 July 2019

A bit of this and that

I've been a complete butterfly over the last couple of weeks.

I was desperate to not have the pressure of a trouser leg against my bad leg.  Things came to a head when had to get them off, and I spent half a day at home, trouserless.  

I made a new skirt (Heartlight from Pattern Emporium). I've made htis before, and it's a lovely pattern, very easy to sew.  Last time I used a heavy scuba,  and it makes the skirt a bit heavy on my hips.      This time I got out two different, lightweight, stretch fabrics from my stash.

And then, once again, I ended up using too-heavy scuba, because I didn't have fabric wide enough to do the fullness without doing a hack.   The fabric is gorgeous, and it's wasted on a skirt.  I should have made leggings, or statement trousers or something.

DH isn't too keen, he thinks maxi skirts look...too long.   Trouble is, the bottom of my leg is a mess and I can't have it on display with a higher hemline. 

I then looked through my patterns to see if I had a template for a narrower skirt.  I found one and started it, and then got distrcted.  Then the sewing table, with partially completed skirt, becane a dumping ground for various other activities,  and I couldn't summon the energy to excavate.  I will try and get this completed though, because it doesn't take too much fabric, it's suitable for wovens as well, and it might be suitable for those times when my leg needs to be free.

Actually, writing that has spurred me on.  I've been working through clearing the table today, and I will try and finish it so I can sew tomorrow.

....

Cheese scones ready for the oven
Lemon Curd
I've made a few things in my yet-to-be-named  CookExpert.  DH steamed some salmon; I made some cheese scones,  and then some lemon curd.  I made aligot mash using the mouli thing for the processor.  We diced some potatoes and made parmentier potatoes.    Nothing earth shattering yet.


 I've also been using the dehydrator.  I started by drying some lovely sage leaves. Then I dried a load of catnip for the cats.    It's currently on  with some water melon in,  something which is marked as "poor" for dehydrating in my instruction book. 

Dried watermelon is bizarre. I tried some when it had been drying for about 18 hours,  and it tasted like water melon flavoured jellied sweets.    It was surprisingly tasty.  I tried a bit more. And a bit more.    The problem with dehydrating things is that its easy to what would be eat a huuuuge anount of *un-dehydrated)  stuff in a very short space of time. I've given myself a sugar headache.

Thermy went to his new home.  I realised a few days later that I could have kept him to make cocktails.   Still,  his new owner is very pleased to have him, and the money I got went towards a walk-in run for the chicks.

DH put the run up, and it's been fantastic.  A leg saver.   I've been able to play and interact with the  chicks in a way which was no longer possible with a ground run.  The chicks benefit because we've been able to put stuff in to make it more fun for them, like some wooden garden chairs.   It's fantastic because we can go out now, shut the chicks away, and not feel guilty that they are closed in.

More  about the chicks another time







Followers