Monday 10 April 2017

Where to start?

It's been a horrible few weeks.

My Darling Aunt was admitted to hospital, for stents and then a pacemaker.  During her spell in hospital, I visited every day. She was her usual happy self, eating well,  making us all laugh.

 After the pacemaker, she was a bit quiet. Not surprising. She'd been through a lot for the previous week or so.  She was discharged the day after the pacemekaer was fitted.

The day after that, she had deteriorated, and we took her to A&E.  She was readmitted to hospital.

It's too soon (it's too painful) to relay what happened over the course of the next 3 days.

She died, unexpectedly, on the Sunday.  Her son and I got to the hospital in time to see her.  The hole she has left in my life, and the life of many others in our family,  is huge.  She was the glue that held our straggly and disparate family together, she was the only person who kept in touch with everyone.   She was such a vibrant, vivacious woman, full of life, full of joy.  She should not have died, and there will be an inquest.

In the meantime, my FIL died.  His death was, in contrast, a relief.  He'd been very ill for a very long time,  and the dying process was long and horribly drawn out.  We'd been waiting (and wishing) for his death for several weeks.   DH had to make several overnight trips in the space of a couple of weeks before the final death and then in the week that followed.

The last couple of weeks has all been about daily hospital visits, dying, deaths, and funerals.  FIL's funeral is now out of the way,   and DA's will be in a couple of weeks.

I've done nothing productive. I have missed acknowledging birthdays (sorry especially to my friend Sandra), I have failed to organise some friend things that I was meant to arrange.

Normal service will be resumed when possible. 


Followers