Tuesday 29 January 2013

Impatience

Lotti has been crouching for me for weeks now, and still no eggs.
Poppy's allotment sisters have been laying for a couple of weeks - no sign of anything from Poppy.

I think the cold snap has interrupted their development Or they are laying eggs somewhere else.

I' not usually quite  this impatient,  but I have agreed to take a couple of Girls in to do a school talk in a couple of weeks, and I'd really like to take in a china white egg from Lotti.  And a blue one from Milly (but that's even less likely to happen).

I was looking through photos and videos to see what else I could take in to show the children. I have lots of video from 2011 (incubator throught to adults), but apparently none at all from 2012 (Poppy and Lotti).   How did I manage to miss capturing their chickhood on video?  I have some photos, but that's not quite the same.

 My usual first choice of hen for young  children would be Tilda as she's placed and happy to be handled.  However, she still isn't quite right, and I don't think it's fair on her to put her under that sort of stress.

So, I'm currently trying to reacquaint Poppy and Lotti with the joys of being handled,  and it's likely that they will be the ones to accompany me.   I also considered one of the allotment girls, Nora or Batty, who will do anything for a bit of food.    I'll see.  

I've got two weeks to decide.




Followers