Wednesday 31 October 2007

6. Ex Batts?

I found out about the brilliant Battery Hen Welfare Trust (BHWT), who find new homes for "spent" battery hens. They have rehomed over 19000 hens this year alone. http://www.bhwt.org.uk/

I considered starting by adopting ex batts but, as I don't yet have any practical experience with chickens, I decided that I'd start with bought hens and then move on to ex batts later. After all, a hen will lay for around 2 years of their approximately 5 year life, so I'd be wanting more hens later.

Ex batts sometimes last a month, sometimes several years. I think it's very rewarding to see them change from the sorry little things who've never seen daylight, to "proper" hens.

I talked to DH about this, and he was keen that we didn't start with ex batts, but would be "happy" (well, you know what I mean) to have ex batts later.

I still wonder whether I should just start with the battery girls...but I have my heart set on a Buff Sussex.





Followers