Wednesday 31 October 2007

4. What's in a name?

So I started off thinking they'd be called Esme, Gytha, Magrat (and Agnes), from Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

All my pets (cats, horses, etc) have had people names rather than pet names, and I don't think the chooks will be different.

I started thinking of "old fashioned" ladies names, and favoured 'Rose', 'Ruby' and 'Daisy' (from "Upstairs Downstairs")

I came up with lots of pairs...
  • 'Geraldine' and 'Alice' ("Vicar of Dibley")
  • 'Jennifer' and 'Clarissa' ("Two Fat Ladies")
  • 'Hilda' and 'Evadne' ("Hinge and Bracket")
  • 'Delia' and 'Nigella' (as in Smith and Lawson)

I then noticed that the majority of hens on the Omlet forum had traditional names like these, some had these particular names, so I started to think about other options.... but found that the pairs were already well used. Besides, I needed three names.

I racked my brains to think of trios...
  • 'Jan', 'Marcia', 'Sindy' (The Broody - Brady - Bunch)
  • 'Inara', 'Kaylee', 'Zoe' ("Firefly"/"Serenity")
  • 'Yolanda', 'Saffron', 'Bridget' (YoSafBridge from "Firefly")
  • 'George', 'Zippy', 'Bungle' ("Rainbow")
  • 'Mary', 'Mungo', 'Midge' ("Mary, Mungo and Midge")
and my personal, still-in-the-running, favourite...
  • 'Tim', 'Graeme' and ''Bill' ("The Goodies")

I liked some of the great names on the Forum "Tikka Massala", "Nugget" etc., but I'd like to be original.

Problem with grouping names is what happens when one of them dies? The remaining name often doesn't sound so amusing on its own.

I'll have to wait until I've picked the three chooks I think, and then see what fits.

Followers