Friday 24 May 2024

Taking it on the chin(a)

Over the last six weeks, I've been sorting out my parents' vast collection of bone china.

My Dad loved Colclough. 

When I was about 12 (?), he started to buy the odd piece, brand new, from our local department store.  He could only buy, say, one plate.  The chosen set was Wayside,  which is very floral and very pink.  (I think I may have had a hand in choosing it).

Many years later, when bone china was out of fashion,  he would rescue sets.  He didn't limit his collecting to Wayside, he branched out into another pattern, and another, and another.

 

We had five massive sets of the stuff to sort out,  plus a small amount from 3 other sets.  I don't even have pictures of the whole sets.  I can't find pictures of two of the sets at all.





 

I've managed to sell two huge sets, thanks to the generosity of a friend. She happened to collect one of them, and she bought the other to split between her daughter and her Aunt.

My friend has also been responsible for me selling some of the Wayside (the one my Dad bought when I was young), and also some of the Stardust.    My BFF's sister bought part the Wayside, and that made me really happy. 

I've also sold various configurations of Stardust and Avon, I haven't tried selling the remainder of the Wayside yet, I'm waiting until after our tea party in June.



 

I was successful in selling two smaller collections, luckily my parents only had a few pieces of those.

My cousin was happy to receive a non Colclough set of china as a memory of my Dad.

There is still more china to go, but we may have to wait until the house is sold.    I've got so many crates of carefully wrapped china, I just don't want to deal with any more at the moment.











 



Followers