Saturday 4 November 2023

Never learn

I blame it on being unwell.

The other day I was thinking about my Magimix food processor,   which came with my CookExpert.   

I don't use it.

I decided I was going to gather up all the bits (the bowls, the blades,  the 3 cases of discs) and put it in the loft in the CookExpert box.  There was no point in it having cupboard space, as it was just too annoying to use. 

What's shocking is this is the third* Magimix food processor I've owned,  and I've ended up hating all of them  And that isn't even the "Never Learn" bit that he title refers to. 

*Years ago, when I was working and buying stuff on a whim was not a problem,  I had a Magimix 5200, and I bought a 4200XL instead.   It was a neater size, and had a better feed tbe.  It still had the stupid bowl design (3 bowls, where the middle bowl was useless, and using the small bowl meant that the big bowl had to be washed as well. It's shockingly poor design. ).

I got really fed up with it, sold it, and bought a Sage food processor.    My Sage food processor was a lovely example of a food processor, really well designed and thought out, and very sturdy.   

When I later bought a Thermomix, I didn't really use the Sage very much.

Fast forward a few years,  and I decided to sell my Thermy and my Sage food processor, and buy a Magimix CookExpert.    I thought long and hard about this, as I remembered very well just how annoying the Magimix food processor was.    I couldn't justify having 2 food processors though so, if I wanted the CookExpert,  the Sage had to go.

I love the CookExpert, I don't regret buying it -[ but I hate the food processor.   It has sat, unused, in the cupboard pretty much since I bought it. I did try it, in the beginning, but it just got on my nerves.

Anyway.   While I was summoning the energy to go into the loft to get the box,   I ended up having a conversation about food processors.   And it made me reminisce about the Sage.   And I looked on Marketplace and found one in fab condition and at a good price.  

After a bit of a faff, where it looked like I wouldn't be able to get it,  I  bought it.

I justified it to myself on the basis that it would replace 2 other machines I have on my countertop at the moment,  and the rest of it could live in the cupboard in the space vacated by the Magimix.  

I collected it today, nrought it home, washed it, and had a go.

It is so much better than the Magimix.  It's fast, and easy to use, and does a great job.   I had a go at peeling potatoes, which was OK.  It would be great, I guess, if I was doing one of my mammoth mashed potato sessions.

I then tried  the dicing accessory, for the potatoes I'd just peeled - and that was really very good.  I can definitely see myself using that.

But it still generated a ridiculous amount of washing up.   I'm not sure it will replace both of the appliances on my worktop.  One possibly.    

 I'm not sure how much I'll use it, given the amount of washing up required.

I feel a bit sheepish.   On the plus side, at least I bought it preloved, so if I do decide to sell it, I won't lose too much.

 


 

Followers