Tuesday 10 October 2023

Stomach curdling

I had a long session with the Chiro today, and she really helped with the pain.

When I got home, I felt well enough to tackle some of the apples and eggs that we have piling up,  and I made some Apple Curd.

I wasn't sure what to expect.  I used the quantities and method from a Margeurite Patten recipe.  I made apple soup (using the Cream Soup programme on my CookExpert) to start with.  I measured out how much puree I had, and calculated home much butter and sugar and how many eggs to use.

I added the sugar, and then the butter bit by bit (I got that tip from the Cook Expert cook book).   When it was all absorbed,  I added the eggs a little at a time.    The recipe suggested 3 eggs or 6 yolks.  I ended up doing 4 yolks and 1 egg.   I let it simmer away for awhile, tested it with a wooden spoon, and then potted it up.

I decided to make meringues with the leftover egg whites.   I made enough for 8 meringues,  and I could only fit 6 in the air fryer.    I ate the remainder raw, which was surprisinly delicious with the home made apple curd.  I imagine my stomach will complain later,  it doesn't like sugar very much.

The meringues are sitting in the airfryer, switched off, to finish drying out.  They look very rough and ready, hopefully they will taste good.   Miss Teen and DH can have them with some of the apple curd for pudding tonight.  I'll have apple curd (maybe) and a bt of yoghurt.

The apple curd is really lovely, much better than I expected frankly.  It's not overly sweet (I used dual purpose apples from the garden), and it's going to be lovely with yoghurt.  It would probably be fab on waffles and pancakes,  but I don't think I could eat those (although I do like them).




Followers