Monday 10 April 2023

...and opening another

On  impulse, I bought 3 new hens.

The people who have bought my incubators also happen to sell poultry.    I perused their website, experience has taught me to consider carefully before agreeing to hold an item for someone, 

I'd been thinking, on and off, about adding 3 new girls to the flock, and I'd had my eye on a lady who sold Wyandottes in a range of gorgeous colours.     We're down to 7 girls now, and it's a good number, and I expect that we'll have a couple more girls go this year.  I was undecided whether to get soe girls this year, or wait til next year.  Or maybe wind down completely.

The buyers had a couple of Araucanas in non standard colours.   We hatched araucanas one year,  all boys.   I rehomed the original "Sasha", driving many miles to take him to his new home.    The lady gave me Araucana x Leghorn eggs as a thank you.   They weren't fertilised.

Then I bought some Araucana x Leghorn eggs.  All boys, including the amazing Penguin (the one boy I regret culling).

And then I bought some Araucans x Leghorn pullets.   Except they turned out to be boys.

And then I gave up on them.

Anyway, these non standard colourways were interesting, so I asked the buyer about them.  Turns out she doesn't have any available,  she sent me pics of what she did have.

I wasn't really in love with the colours available,  but I just couldn't let it go. In the end, I selected 2 Araucanas and one other breed.   So now I have 3 pullets being delivered in a few weeks time.

I mentioned it to DH. 

He took it well.  He seemed quite pleased about it actually.  I don't think he's particularly excited about new girls,  I suspect he's just happy that I am interested enough to buy some.  He's already planning how we can get the spare Cube out of the Run, and where it's going to go so I can scrub and disinfect it, and where we will put it so we can keep the Newbies quarantined from the Oldies for a couple of weeks.

 


Followers