Sunday 23 April 2023

A Hull of a trip


I've just got back from a lovely, and successful, overnight trip to Hull.

The purpose of the trip was to visit the Hope2Sleep charity shop, and get fitted CPAP.    I mentioned to my DB that I was going, and he came along as well so that he could get fitted too. He's doing a self funded sleep study this weekend, and he was considering whether to buy a machine as there seems to be a long lead time via the NHS.

I booked a little AirB&B flat in Hull's Old Town area.  It was a lucky pick,  as we were right in the Old Town by the Minster.    The owners allowed us to "check in" early,  so we were able to drop off our bags, have a cup of tea, and have a quick stroll round the immediate area  before going on to our appointment at the Hope2Sleep charity.  The walk showed us some lovely places, including the beautiful building s of the indoor covered market.

The appointment was well worth the whole cost of the trip, and I may write about that separately.

Afterwards, we drove the couple of miles back, and drove around te city to see what was where.  We had a detailed drive round the Old Town, looking at places we might want to visit on foot.  Back at the flat, we unloaded my CPAP purchases, had a cup of tea,  and then decided we's go for a walk and get some dinner.

We walked to the old Fruit Market area. which was just the other side of a horrendous dual carriageway.   The whole area is being regenerated and was lovely.  We found Bert's, which was an independent Italian/Pizzeria. It turned out that Bert has two places,  one a lovely italian, and the other a huuuuuuuuge pizza place.    It was only when we were seated at our table and I saw there were, after all, no wood fired pizza on the menu that I realised I really fancied a pizza.   I apologised, and we asked for directions to the other place.

It was really lovely.  The food was excellent.   We walked around for ages afterwards, with DB looking at all the things he wanted to photograph.

The developments look like initially it was a  clearing-the-old-and-chuck-up-cheap-accommodation exercise, but then a more thoughtful and sympathetic  regeneration took over. I don't kno if that's true, but that's how it seemed to me.

The next morning we went out early so that DB could photograph stuff, and we walked a looooooong way.  He wanted to photograph the Humber Bridge, and we decided to go home via the bridge so hge could do it. I mentioned that when I'd been on a course with Jane White Tuition, at Barton upon Hu,ber, the view of the bridge from the are a where her studio was located was superb

 On our way back to the flat, we passed a bakery which was open (most of the interesting cafes didn't open until 10), and they had a board outside saying they served brunch.  We went in.

It was fab.  It was a family run bakery and cafe,  Hearth, and the quality was outstanding. Well worth the money. Well worth a detour, in fact.

We set off home.

We crossed the Bridge, and DB noticed a sign saying that there was a viewpoint for the bridge.   We followed the signs, and followed them, and followed them.  To my amusement, we ended up in Barton upon Humber.    I laughed out loud when the signs stopped right by the place where Jane's studio is.   I didn't pop in, she was running a course that day.

 

 




Followers