Saturday 5 November 2022

On and On (and On)

We are still in chaos upstairs.  

Despite this, I (we) have made a lot of progress.   The kitchen units are now in place in the sliding wardrobe on one side of the chimney.  Sadly, I can't get to one set of drawers, and I won't be able to until the additional wardrobe doors have arrived and the new, extended, track is in place.

Despite that, I've got a lot of the haberdashery in place.    

There was a lot of going round in circles,  trying things in different sized drawers, and arranging and rearranging said drawers in the carcases. DH did well not to get completely fed up.  I suspect I was fed up enough for the two of us. 

I've got the fabric and other boxes stacked on the other side, which will be inside the new wardrobe. 

The bed has been turned round, and is more or less in its final place.   The risers mean I can't put it against the wall,  but that will get sorted when the new bed arrives.  I thought it was only going to be a week or two,   but it turns out it'll be December.   A bit of a blow, but not the end of the world.

I finally managed to clear the bed, and this immediately improved things. 

I have also managed to excavate all the boxes and stuff from underneath the desk.   The bed has stuff on it again now, while I try and sort through the boxes.

I've emptied several Really Useful Towers, and the towers have been sold.   I've got a pile of unused Ikea stuff that we will be taking back next week.   And other Ikea stuff which is older, which I'm trying to sell.   I've even sold a couple of haberdashery items.  All proceeds are going towards the cost of the new Ikea storage.    I've donated some felt to Together Anything is Pawsible.

I am happy to report that we should indeed be able to achieve my stretch goal, which is putting the A0 printer upstairs. We will probably wait until the new wardrobe has been installed before we try moving it.

I can't make big progress on putting things away because DH has been away and I've got to the stage where I need him to do a couple of bits.   He wanted to get them done earlier in the week, but I was humming and hawing.   I'm currently trying to put things into piles and/or boxes so I can put them away as soon as DH's bits are done. 

I've still got stuff all over upstairs, and I'm a little nervous that I've miscalculated.

The next big job is to go through all the fabric that is in boxes to review it and identify any that I can destash, and to see if I can combine any boxes to reduce the number of storage slots needed.     I bought some fairly good storage things from Must Have Ideas (MHI) (the handles are a bit weak, but the frame structure works well).  I think I should be able to put all my Christmas fabrics in one,  and all my Halloween in another.  That sort of thing.      I was going to wait until I'd tidied everything else away before I started doing the fabric review,  but I think I might do a couple of quick wins now. 

I don't want anything relating to my hobbies under the bed in that room.  Household stuff (like spare pillows, spare duvet,  blow up bed, games, cat baskets) can go under there.

I also need to tackle the worktop.  Some of the stuff, like the many thread cones, has already been housed in the haberdashery.   I've also been just shoving bits and pieces in piles on there, so it is a mess.  I'm hoping that when I finally get round to clearing it,  I will end up with a clutter-free workspace.   I've already moved my sewing machine to one end and turned it around 90 degrees, and I'm hoping this will make enough space to use the other two machines comfortably.  

 I don't have space to put the felting machine out, so that's going to have to live in the box room, along with a MHI storage box of balls of yarn.  I think it is fair, considering I'm having the mega printer (and the rolls of A0 and A1 paper) under my desk.

I'm hoping the things I'm selling go quickly, as whatever I can clear will help things look better.

It's Flockdown from Monday.  We've still got to put the netting up over the poles, hopefully the weather will let us do that tomorrow.  If not, the girls will have to stay in their run for a day or two.  They don't come out much when it's raining, anyway.

 



Followers