Sunday 13 November 2022

A Happy Little Accident.

I've been trimming DH's hair since the day before Lockdown commenced in 2020.

With Lockdown imminent, we bought some hair clippers so that I could do his hair for him. I'd never used clippers before.

It was a good decision, and a good investment.   When Lockdown eventually finished, he decided he was happy for me to continue to trim his hair every few weeks.    His hair isn't long, or short.  I use the biggest clipper blade, I think it's a number 8.  

Eventually I got more used to doing it, and I'd use the naked clipper to trim the hair at the back, and to remove the sideburn area bits. For over 2 and a half years I've done it. 

I suggested doing his hair the other day, and I started with the naked clipper.  It went well.

I hoiked the right- and left- ear comb things out of the box ready to use in a while, and then I got out the comb thing to do the main bit of his hair.

I started at the front, front to back.   I was surprised that there was quite a lot of hair coming off, his hair hadn't been trimmed that long ago.  And then I realised what I'd done.

I'd picked up the number 2 guard (1/4 inch), instead of the number 8 (35mm, 1 and 1/4 inches ish

I looked at his head, I looked at him.  I fessed up.

His buzz cut was really, really soft.  The hair was so very tactile.

He wasn't particularly interested in how soft and touchable his hair was.  He was concerned that his hair might be different lengths.

We discussed it, and I phoned my niece, a trained hairdresser,  to see if she could come and rescue the situation.  She didn't answer the phone. 

We then decided that I'd cut the rest of his head with the number 6 (and  afterwards we agreed to me using the number 4 clipper) and then we'd leave it until he'd washed it the following morning and decide what to do.

The next day, he decided he wanted me to use the Number 2 clipper all over, to even things up.

He's quite happy with how low maintenance it is.   I think it's surprisingly flattering (and I say that with sincerity).

I think it was a Bob Ross moment.  A Happy Little Accident.

I don't think I'll use a number 2 clipper on him again though, but I suspect it might be only as low as a number 4. 

Maybe I'll start with a number 6 and see where we go from there.

Followers