Saturday 8 October 2022

Warmth

It's been difficult drying washing for the last couple of weeks.   I've had to make sure the main airer only has one load of washing on, and I've had to get a second airer out if I need ot dry a second load at he sae time.   Instea do fbeing dry the next day, it takes a couple of days now.

Once we out the central heating on, it'll be OK again.  In the meantime, it means the washing is mounting up faster than I can get through it.    

Today is a gorgeously warm day.  I have windows and doors open, and I may even try and use the line outside (although that didn't work on the last "warm" day).      I've managed to give the bathroom a good clean,  not quite a bottoming out,  but it did include me sorting out the vanity unit and removing some stuff I'm not likely to use.  

I also discovered that I still had some Lavender Wool Wash,   and some other lingerie cleaner from Lakeland, which doesn't need rinsing.   I was going to chuck them both, on the basis that I can't remember when I last used them (I used to handwash all my underwired bras).... but then I remembered that I had, actually, been wishing for some Lavender Wool Wash a couple of weeks ago.   I decided I'd leave them there for now.

I was using some Neat to clean the bathroom.   I like their unscented version,  which I use in the kitcheen now instead of Koh.   I don't mind their Mango and Fig variety, and I ise that elsewhere, and sometimes in the kitchn if I pick it up by mistake,     When I bought the trial pack, I also included 3 others fragrances,  a typical triumph of hope over experience. 

One, Seagrass and Lotus I think,  was so vile, I poured it down the drain as soon as I tried it.    I replaced it with  Sage and Mint,  and that seemed not as bad,  and was bearable, or so I thought  Today though, having used quite a lot of it, I decided I couldn't bear it after all, it was clogging up my olfactory system. That went down the sink, and I've been avoiding the bathroom until the air has cleared.    I've now made up a bottle of the Grapefruit and YlangYlang variety, to see if I can tolerate that.     I know I could just use the non scented version,  but sometimes it's good to have a scent in a cleaner,  it means the room smells like it's been cleaned.

On a getting rid of clutter note,  DH managed to dismantle (dismember more like) my lovely but enormous Egotron mobile laptop cart.  I had wanted to keep it in the sewing room, but it takes up too much space (the base, where the castors are, is surprisingly large)  - especially as I've decided that I'll probably have to keep the embroidery machine in the sewing room after all. 

I didn't want to sell it though.  It's one of those things which cost a small fortune, was worth every penny,  and would be a waste to sell.   That means it has to go in the loft.  It weighs 48kg (it has a gas lift table as art of it) and so it needed to be taken apart to have a chance of getting it in the loft.  It's constructed in such a way that it can't be easily taken apart, but DH spent some time sorting it out today.  It's now in the loft, and it'll stay there until we find a use for it, or decide to sell it.

Speaking of decluttering, did I mention that I'd managed to get some bed raisers for a bargain price?   I had been looking for a particular set of extendable risers,  preloved.   I'd found a few, too far away, and getting them to me meant that they cost ore than buying new.  Also, they all came with round "cups" and my bed has square legs, so I could see that I'd have to buy additional square cups to use them.    This all meant it was quite an expensive outlay for something which might not work anyway. 

Luckily, I spotted a pair for an unbelievably low price, which made collecting them worthwhile.   If they didn't fit,  I could sell them on and get my money back, even factoring in the cost of buying new square cups.

The square cups arrived yesterday, and it looks like it might work.   I want to see if I can get the bed high enough to put, say, a Kallax or two under the bed, and sort out storage a little better.  This is a kind of "proof of concept".

If it works,  I'll eventually look at getting a different bed, one without an iron bed-end (which gets in the way, sadly) and which is higher than normal.  I'd had to get everything off the bed, and most of the stuff out from under the bed yesterday.   I just couldn't lift the bed up and move the riser to the right place!  Sometimes getting old is fabulous (like the liberation of finding I have fewer f*cks to give),  but sometimes it's a bitch, 

I've worked out a plan of action now, and I'll try again later.  I might have to ask DH to help.

 




Followers