Sunday 23 October 2022

Heavy

A lot of yesterday was spent studying (and arguing about) an Ikea kitchen base unit.

I'm going to be filling it with inner drawers.   The inner drawers come in 3 heights,  and are not exact multiples of each other.  I could see that I could get 8 of the lowest ones in the 80cm high unit, and I could probably get 4 of the medium ones in.  I couldn't work out the high ones.  And when it came to mixing the sizes, I just couldn't get my head around it  because the high one is such a strange size.   Also, in some cases I didn't need a "high", I needed a medium with a bit of extra headroom.

 It wasn't that I couldn't get my head around it per se, It was because I know (from experience) that the additional variable in all of this  is the location of the holes in the cabinet sides. Sometimes the drawers don't land in helpful places.

I had started a discussion about this, with DH,  a while ago.  It ended up in a bit of a...... disagreement, because I said the unit could take  8 low drawers and he said 6. I know where he got the 6 from, and I explained that the inner drawers are a different height to the outer drawer fronts.  I could not persuade him, even showing him, so we left it.

I now needed his help (as he would be the poor soul who would be putting all this together), so we went out to look at the base unit which has been sitting in the summerhouse for some years now.  It contains 1 low, 1 medium, 1 high inner drawer,  and 2 high drawer fronts (which will not be used).

We went round in a circular argument for a while.   DH could see that it was indeed  8 inner low drawers,  4 inner medium drawers, and he was adamant that everything could be divided by 8.     I knew this wasn't the case, the high drawer wasn't double any of the others (in the end I realised it was about the size of a medium plus a low).    I'm losing the ability to articulate,  and I get very frustrated,  and DH (understandably) feels that I'm taking it out on him.    Sometimes I am, and it's very unfair of me. I try and acknowledge and apologise for it.   Sometimes,  DH just won't listen or hear what I am trying to say, or dismisses it as wrong,   and that's when I get really upset.  Usually I end up giving up at this point, but that wasn't an option yesterday, I really need to get this right. 

Eventually, we were putting the different drawers in the bottom (there were only 3 runners in the carcass), and the only one which was positioned to take any size drawer was the bottom one.  Suddenly he saw that I was right about the high drawer.   We both tried to work out the permutations,  and we both found it a pain in the b*m.    We then had a helpful discussion about it, and agreed the only thing to do would be to get some of the drawers and try it  (but we wouldn't put the runners in the carcass until we were sure (because screwing and unscrewing them isn't a good idea). 

Sometimes DH tells me that I don't want to do what I want to to do,  and that is like pouring petrol on the fire.   Yesterday, however, he made a suggestion about abandoning the high drawers altogether,  and it was a really good idea.

........

This morning's target was for me to clear out enough out of the bedroom so that we could turn the bed around and put it in its intended new place.

Even though I will be  putting  a new bed (without a high foot end) in there,  I wanted to move the bed as it meant that I could start working out how to arrange the new fitted wardrobe space.   

I spent a good hour or so lugging stuff out of the guest room into our bedroom, including moving several Kallax units.      I then had to start taking all the stuff off the bed (it's been piling up again while I've been sorting out the haberdashery),  everything from under the bed....

Once again, the upstairs looks like a Hoarders Haven. It's so bad, I can't take a picture.

I came downstairs for a drink and a break.  I went outside to see to the Girls, cleaned and refiilled one o fthe drinkers,  let Phyllis out from the fruitcage (where I put her so she can have a selection of tasty treats in peace),

Tehn I went back upstairs,  swept the debris from the floor under the desk (I was in a hurry), and DH appeared to help me turn the bed before he went out.     We had to slide the bed,  which was just as well as there is no way on this earth that  could lift it.  It's wrought iron, and weighs a ton without the extra hugh super deluxe mattress (even the mattress is a challenge to lift).

We did it, and the bed is currently shoved against the wall so that I can get access to the alcove where the new wardrobe is going.     I'm having a breather before I start moving stuff back in, 

The wardrobe doors will be a few weeks.  I haven't bought a replacement bed yet (I had briefly toyed with the idea of putting the bed under the window, moving the radiator.....),  and I think I'll need to sort that out next week.   I've been looking for a preloved one,  but if I go down that route,  I'm limited on underbed height.  The best I've found (preloved,  iron (because they are smaller frames than wooden beds),  no foot end) is 30cm,  and that just isn't ideal.  

I'd like to get the room in order (everything back in,   more or less in its eventual place, by the end of October.  That may or may not include the Ikea units for the haberdashery.   I'm busy seeking out and buying preloved drawers at the moment. Of course I'm looking for the rarest of sizes).

I've got about an hours energy before my enthusiasm battery dies, so I'd better get back to it.



Followers