Monday 19 July 2021

Distractions

I didn't get the three things done.

I did one item on the list - I sewed a new waistband on to a skirt, so I can no wear it without it falling down. It was at least 2 sizes too big, but is great for wearing round the house, in the garden, and for chickening.

One of them, the leggings, I decided to start again with better fabric.  I haven't actually started again, but I did make that decision.

The third one, the bra, is still waiting.

I've been a little unwell  (including another hospital visit early this morning), so I'm happy that I did any of them.

When I got back from hospital  today, my double sided sticky interfacings had arrived.  This meant I was able to attempt to salvage a special tee shirt for DH.   I did a test run, and then I did the real thing.

The original tee shirt was a promotional one, and it's been worn to death.   I decided I wanted to try and cut the promotional bit out, and attach it to a new tee shirt.  I'd worked out that I needed some form of double sided interfacing/stabiliser, and that  I would need to sew round the edges afterwards to make sure they didn't fray or lift up.

My test run showed me that I needed to apply an oversized piece of stabiliser to the back of theold shirt before cutting out,   then cut out,  then trim to size.

It all worked really well.

I picked an heirloom stitch to go round the edges, and I worked hard to make it appear reasonably straight.  I used embroidery thread to match the new tee shirt, as sewing thread just looked awful on my test.  

I picked a grey tree shirt to pick up on the grey in the logo,  a white tee shirt would have looked dreadful.

DH was a bit surprised, and seemed reasonably happy. Not ecstatic.  Not over the moon that I had saved his tee shirt. 

But at least not annoyed that I had destroyed his original  tee shirt.

He has another tee shirt that needs doing, one which has a front and back design.  I'm not entirely sure he'd be happy about it, so I'll ask him first next time.

 I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total crafty things this year: 41

Sewing based makes: 
123) Inner pad for foot muff; make cover for foot muff;  trim down Superking Duvet to KS and recover edges;
456)Cushion cover for Miss T; Gift bags for Miss T and GDK;
7)Dressing Gown;
8-10)Cat Duvet, Duvet Cover and Pillowcase;
11) Cushion cover for living room;
12-15) Sleeveless tops (x4);
16) SBCC top
17) Overlocker chicken
18) Curtains for nest boxes (4, but counted as 1 make)~
19,20,21)Boxers for DH (test pairs for sizing - counted as 1,  and then 2 pairs)
Abandoned muslin for LoveNotions Willow Wrap Dress (not counted in total makes)
22)Apostrophe Patterns Joggers (jellyfiah and space)
23)Apostrophe Patterns Flared Joggers (black, with big red roses)
24)Boxes for DH (3 pairs using black cotton lycra with patterned fly)
25)Shorten the hems and sleeves on 4 of Mum's day dresses (count as 1 task)
26) repurposed  old tee shirt as cover for mini cushion
27) Burrito rolled bag (from Jane's July Zoom)
28) Replace waistban on massively oversized maxi skirt
29) Salvage DH's Firestorm tee shirt

 


Learning activities:
1) Scanning pattern pieces; 2) Making movies; 3)Babylock demo day; 4)Gathering using my overlocker;   5) Euphy training (circles,using elastic in looper);6) Gail Yellen's binder course; 7) Inkscape 1; 8) casting on;  9)purling; 10)casting off

Non sewing based craft makes: 
A) Painted bisque butter dish and had it fired
B) Knitted Infinity scarf, first attempt (pinks)

Followers