Wednesday 7 July 2021

Batch processing

We usually cook from scratch.   We usually have a drawer full of home made 'ready meals' , and cook extra specifically fir thus purpose  

There are exceptions.  Usually its things that we just cant make as well ourselves.

I do quite like Meica hotdogs, so we buy jars of those.   I also like Albert Bartett frozen crinkle cut chips,  and rgeir classic fries, both of which are superb in the airfryer.  They are better than home made so we now we rarely (i.e. never) make chips.  

I bought some pies from a local pie company, and some of them were really good and were  fillings I  probably wouldn't make myself.   We have a few of those in the feeezer.

Recently, we've been having  lot of easy meals:  shop bought fish fingers (big ones),  hotdogs, sausages (the sausages are made by  us),  the odd steak.    Few proper meals. 
 
The drawer has been empty of ready meals for months.  No energy or enthusiasm fir cooking.

Today, I decided to make a double sized chilli.   I decided that, as I was going to be doing  it oldschool,  I'd make other stuff as well,  specifically for ready meals.

So, I did a double portion of shepherds pie filling [we use mutton for extra flavour],  znd I did a huge pot of bolognese.     In fact, I started with the bolognese as that takes over 3 hours to cook down.

The kitchen smelt lovely,  3 completely different meals.   DH said he could smell it from outside. 

We had chilli and rice for dinner.  

All the meals are now in two-person portions ready for the freezer. 12 of them.


Followers