Saturday 10 July 2021

Burrito Roll

Burritto rolled bag
The lovely Jane, from Jane White Tuition and Babylockshop,  ran a Zoom Sewcial this week.   We made an easy bag, with two fabrics, and she showed us how to use the burrito method to roll it up before sewing so that there were no exposed seams where the two fabrics met.

It worked really well!   Sadly, I didn't realise that it was going to be two coordinating fabrics, so I made mine out of two pieces of the same fabric.

No exposed seams (outside)

The "no exposed seams" only applies to where the two fabrics are joined. The inside side seams are still there.  I did try and work out if I could add a lining to hide the inside seams but I don't understand enough, about how and why the burrito method works, to be able to work it out.

Noexposed seam (inside)
Although I can now technically do it (while making a bag),  and I could follow instructions to do it while dressmaking,  I don't understand it well enough to be able to work out how to apply it to clothes myself.  

 I need to sit down and play a bit, and I need to be in the right frame of mind to learn.  I'm not there at the moment.


But the bag is cute, and I can see me using the idea for present wrapping as well.  Thank you Jane.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total crafty things this year: 39

Sewing based makes: 
123) Inner pad for foot muff; make cover for foot muff;  trim down Superking Duvet to KS and recover edges;
456)Cushion cover for Miss T; Gift bags for Miss T and GDK;
7)Dressing Gown;
8-10)Cat Duvet, Duvet Cover and Pillowcase;
11) Cushion cover for living room;
12-15) Sleeveless tops (x4);
16) SBCC top
17) Overlocker chicken
18) Curtains for nest boxes (4, but counted as 1 make)~
19,20,21)Boxers for DH (test pairs for sizing - counted as 1,  and then 2 pairs)
Abandoned muslin for LoveNotions Willow Wrap Dress (not counted in total makes)
22)Apostrophe Patterns Joggers (jellyfiah and space)
23)Apostrophe Patterns Flared Joggers (black, with big red roses)
24)Boxes for DH (3 pairs using black cotton lycra with patterned fly)
25)Shorten the hems and sleeves on 4 of Mum's day dresses (count as 1 task)
26) repurposed  old tee shirt as cover for mini cushion
27) Burrito rolled bag (from Jane's July Zoom)

 


Learning activities:
1) Scanning pattern pieces; 2) Making movies; 3)Babylock demo day; 4)Gathering using my overlocker;   5) Euphy training (circles,using elastic in looper);6) Gail Yellen's binder course; 7) Inkscape 1; 8) casting on;  9)purling; 10)casting off

Non sewing based craft makes: 
A) Painted bisque butter dish and had it fired
B) Knitted Infinity scarf, first attempt (pinks)

Followers