Thursday 15 April 2021

Not raining, it's pouring

I have one elderly relative (ER) in hospital, who was in a serious enough condition for me to have several nights running of middle of the "I'm sorry to say....very poorly" calls. These are the calls you get to prepare you for the "I'm sorry to tell you that......"  bad news call.

ER was transferred to another hospital, one which was better equipped to manage all the complications.  ER has been there for a while now.   Happily, said relative gradually turned a corner from all the competing complications, and is now at the "seriously ill" stage (rather than the more serious "very poorly" stage), waiting for a major operation.

This hospital is far from local.  It's about a 3 hour round trip. No visiting allowed. At all.

There have been a few things to organise.  I went to the hospital with DB2 at the weekend, to drop off some stuff to try and help my elderly relative pass the time and keep track of things.  No clothes were needed, I did ask.

We have a chain of communication to the wider family members (and elderly, not internet connected, friends).   

Things were settling down into a routine.  Time consuming, but OK. 

And then my Dad was taken in to hospital, about 25 miles from his home.  He is also quite poorly (he was "very poorly" at one point),.  We could talk to him on his phone, and he was OK.   But then yesterday, something happened which caused him to start suffering from some delusions, which has been very challenging.   

The hospital will not allow visitors, and it's feeding his delirium.   All last night, and all day today, and it's still going on.   I can't really write the details now,  but it's all very real to him. It's heartbreaking.  My poor mum.

I had to warn ER that my Dad was having some trouble, in case Dad phoend ER for help.  

Shortly afterwards, ER called to ask me to bring clothes.  They are at a point where they have to exercise to get well enough for the op, and they need clothes.    So, I collected the requested clothes etc today,  and DH will drive me up there this evening.  I've got appointments tomorrow I can't break, and I want to get this done and out of the way.  

"What larks!".



 

 


Followers