Saturday 3 April 2021

Boxering Success

I've managed to complete the 2 pairs of boxers made from my cardboard template.    The sewing is a bit rough, but they are wearable!

I used the smallest double fold binder to do the fly binding.  That worked like a dream.

I used the downturn feller to hem the legs.   The first pair was already sewn up, so I hemmed in the round.  The second pair, I decided to try hemming first then sewing.  Both methods have their merits,  I'll have to see whether they construction choice affects how they feel in wear.

Unusually, I had a bit of a problem with the hem on the first pair.  I had to unpick and re-sew, and I sewed by eye so they are a bit rubbish.

 On both pairs, I coverstitched around the waistband so that the join looked a little more "finished" on the inside.   I need to improve my positioningfor that. I also need to see if DH prefers the feel of the finished to the unfinished ones I made the other day.

This second pic is of my glorious fly binding, The pic is sideways, sorry - the dinosaurs should be the correct way up.

I hope that DH finds these comfortable. I particularly hope he likes the waistband  as I'm using the same fabric to make the waistband rather than using elastic.   I could switch to using elastic, but it's easier (and cheaper) to use the fabric I am working with anyway.

When he's had a chance to wear them, and has given me feedback on improvements, I'll make him some more (assuming he wants me to) .  I've got a very small amount of fabric left, and I might make some flypieces to use in a pair of otherwise plain boxers.  

I've also got a small stash of fabric set aside for knickers for him.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total crafty things this year: 31

Sewing based makes: 16;
Inner pad for foot muff; make cover for foot muff;  trim down Superking Duvet to KS and recover edges;
Cushion cover for Miss T; Gift bags for Miss T and GDK;
Dressing Gown;
Cat Duvet, Duvet Cover and Pillowcase;
Cushion cover for living room;
Sleeveless tops (x4);
SBCC top
Overlocker chicken
Curtains for nest boxes (4, but counted as 1 make)~
Boxers for DH (test pairs for sizing - counted as 1,  and then 2 pairs)


Learning activities: 10;
Scanning pattern pieces; Making movies; Babylock demo day; Gathering using my overlocker;    Euphy training (circles,using elastic in looper) Gail Yellen's binder course;
Inkscape 1; casting on;  purling; casting off

Non sewing based craft makes: 2
Painted bisque butter dish and had it fired
Knitted Infinity scarf



 


Followers