Tuesday 2 February 2021

Accidental Oven Cleaning

Yes, really.

The kitchen was a mess.  Nothing unusual in that, except it was a bit of a grubby mess.   I woke up with a headache,    but still got up and did Day 2 of our latest 21 day challenge.  Then, after I had showered and we'd had breakfast,  I had a second cup of coffee.

Since last summer, I've been drinking cold coffee.  Ice cold.    It started with a bargain from Lakeland, a Kitchen Aid Cold Brew coffee maker.   We'd been having cold brewed for a while, and I'd been using my Severin frother to do the milk.  

Last summer, when it was hot,  I tried making coffee with foamed cold milk.  The Severin does a bang up job of foaming cold milk,  and it was quite pleasant.     I carried on like that all Summer.  

In the Autumn, I tried hot coffee, and I couldn't drink it.   It just tasted....wrong.  So, I've only had cold coffee since then.    

I was running out of coffee. I wanted to make sure I had some for tomorrow, so I drained the remaining coffee out of the pot, washed it, and DH made some fresh (it won't be ready to drink until tomorrow).   I had my usual coffee,  but there was enough left for a second cup.  It seemed silly saving it for tomorrow, which is why I had a second cup.  

Anyway.   DH unloaded the dishwasher, and put a couple of bits in.   I wanted to try and get things straight, so I started my usual "points" game,  and started clearing and cleaning as I went.    I put a couple of things in the dishwasher,  and I thought "I could put the oven racks in".   I'd noted the other day that they needed clraning.    So I went to our main oven, and got out the racks and put them in.  

They take up a lot of space.  I thought to myself, I might as well put in the racks from the other oven then. 

Then I thought "If I take out these few items from the top basket, I can get side brackets in.   So I did.  And I put the dishwasher on.

The glass door of Number 2 oven was really greasy.   I thought about putting some Oven Mate on it.  Then I looked in the oven, and thought "No, if I do that, I'll have to clean the whole thing".  But then I realised that I'd be putting clean metalware back in, and I'd probably regret not doing it.  So,  I did it. 

And of course I then had to do #1 oven as well.  Then I had to clean the splatters off the floor becaise of the kittens.  I'd put newspaper down, but I'd managed to splatter the floor.   Then I realised I'd better wash the floor.

Which meant I had to vacuum. 

Which meant I had to clear the floor.  And as I was washing,  I needed take the mats out and beat them.

And as I was doing it,  I'd better pull out the printer unit from under the kitchen table and vacuum and wash under there.  And then move the butchers block thing.  And then clean the stools.

As I was replacing things, I had an accident.  As soon as I realised that I was in serious trouble, I shouted for my  husband.    We have a Varier Move stool which has a gas lift, I'd been putting it back under the table and had been trying to put the bag of waste textiles on it.  Somehow I managed to operate the lift, and my wrist became trapped against the metalwork of the electric desk.  Because the stool was underneath the desk, I couldn't get the purchase on it to force it down.  My writst was getting more and more squashed and, because there was a metal bar running across the underneath of the desk, I was concerned that my wrist was going to break.

DH came in to see why I was shouting. At first, he thought I was joking, but then he saw that I really was stuck and worked out how to free me.  He tried but failed to suppress his laughter at my predicament.  

I'm just trying to finish the cleaning now.    I've still got to finish cleaning the ovens - I've got to get the gunk off and wash them out.    About now, I'm slightly regretting starting,  but I will be glad I've done it, when it's done.

I normally only have one (very large) coffee a day, and today I had two.   I suspect the extra caffeein is what put a rocket up my b*m.

 


Followers