Wednesday 20 November 2019

Princess Seams

I finally made myself make myself a top.

It didn't start well.

I bought Ellie & Mac's Tres Belle  wrap top drees pattern.  A lot of indy designers have been extending their size range,  and the pictures showed some ladies of a similar size to me.   I decided to make a muslin of just the bodice, to see if it would work, before I committed to the dress.

It was a disaster.

I'm experienced enough now to not get disillusioned by this,  but it did remind me of how I felt when I first tried to make an item of clothing (and then didn't try sewing clothes again for years).

I dug out my own cross over top pattern, made using my SureFit Designs body blueprint.  I wanted to compare the pattern pieces to see whether I could make some adjustments to one of the other.     As I contemplated the two patterns,  I thought about options.

And I decided to put away the cross over front for now,  and to make a princess seam blueprint instead.    I've been thinking about doing this for a loooong time,  I've just never been motivated enough.

I watched Glenda's videos on designing a princess seam,  and decided to try one from the armscye.  (I've done a princess seam from the shoulder when I made a jacket at Judith's Jacket Retreat) .

I also watched Glenda's video on sewing princess seams,  and that was a real godsend. it made stitching the curved bit to the straight bit relatively simple.`

So, I made my pattern pieces,  I quickly cut a muslin and stitched it together, and.... it wasn't bad at all.    I kept the blueprint,  and made another version with a lower neckline and a shorter shoulder seam.   I made this in reasonable fabric,  and it looked OK.       I was pleased with it. 

It's not finished.  I need to do the neckband, and I need to hem it.  I did put sleeves in though, so I could test the whole pattern before moving on.

And then I did another version of the pattern, with a still lower neckline.   I've cut it out (apart from the sleeves) and it's sitting on the cutting table waiting for me to get on with it.

I had some other bits and pieces I needed to sort out, so it'll be a little while before I can complete it.



Followers