Monday 19 November 2018

And it continued...

DH got back from visiing his poorly mum on Wednesda, and went to do the Allotment chooks.  One of the Dorkings was unable to stand.

He checked her leg to see if it was a foot or leg problem, and decided it was her upper leg.  He was unable to examine her more thoroughly, so he phoned me and we decided it was best for her to come home.

She looked terrible. Her tail was down.  I gave her some butridrops and she drank thirstily,.  I gave her water by syringe.  We then examined her. It turned out that her leg ring had slipped up her thigh, got wedged, and cut in to her leg.  It was a bit of a mess.

We got the leg ring off, and sprayed liberally with special disinfectant.  She looked brighter immediately, but still couldn't stand.  We set up a dog crate for her to stay in.

She improved quickly, and I kept her sprayed and well fed.   On Friday, I let her out into the garden, thinking she might want to eat some grass. She sat under the Rosemary. I brought her in before I let the big girls out.     On Saturday, I let her out again. I let the big girls out too, and kept an eye out in case there was trouble.  There was a little, but it was OK.
 

We took her back to the allotment on Sunday.  

She was greeted with a peck on the head from one of the Harem. 

We'll see how she goes from here.

Followers