Monday 25 September 2023

Eye Aye!

PVD. Posterior vitreous detachment.

Saturday night, I had a blob in my vision.  A round blur with a tail,  like a raindrop on a window.  I thought it was a hair, or a bit of fluff.  I realised it wasn't.  It moved with the direction of my eye, and I had some flashing going on top right.  The NHS website didn't seem to think it was a cause for a trip to A&E, so I decided to see if I could get an optician's appointment the next day.  

One of my parents has Macular disorder. They ignored the initial signs and consequently lost the sight in one eye;  some of their vision could have been saved if they'd dealt with it earlier.  



Sunday morning, I was lucky to be able to book the last appointment at my local Boots.   When I got there, I explained that I didn't actually want an eye test, I would like her to examine my eye.  The ophthalmologist (optometrist? Optician?) was lovely, and she did various tests including dilating my pupils.

She couldn't see any tear in my retina,  and she gave me a referral to take to my local eye hospital (or I could go into London to one of the walk in eye hospitals that were open on a Sunday).

Monday (today),  DH drove me to the local eye hospital.  Bit of triage, then off to the Optometry department to have my eye examined to check for tears or holes.

Upshot: PVD.

Some jelly("Vitreous") behind my eye has become dislodged.  This is quite a common thing, no treatment.  It will be like this indefinitely, but my brain will eventually learn to ignore it.   No action needed, unless things get worse (a sudden rush of floaters,  a change in vision, a dark shadow in my vision,  or the flashing lights getting worse).

I started to walk home, but it was a bright day and my dilated pupils had no defence against the sunshine.  Thank goodness I hadn't driven.  

DH picked me up part way home.  I was quite relieved to get in the car out of the sunlight.

We had a museum visit planned, we had arranged to take my uncle as well,  so we carried on with that.   I couldn't actually read anything, because the eye drops had now affected my vision.  I did find I could  take photos and enlarge them to read them.   Apart from that, it was a really enjoyable trip.

I'm back home now and can (just about) read things now.

 


 


 


Followers