Friday 24 July 2020

Time marches on

I keep meaning to write, and then think I don't have much to say, so I don't say anything.

Since my last blog post.... most things have just trundled on.

The projector for sewing was even more successful than I hoped.  I whipped up a couple of maxi skirts, bish bosh, and learned some limitations (which I've worked round now).   I was tempted to make some more, as the only skirts I can wear are maxis,  but I really need to make some tops next.     
I tried it for making face masks coverings using the projector to project the pattern,but that was a fail.  I was trying to cut a whole stack at once,  and the height of the pile ddistorted some of the lines.  I had to revert to a printed paper pattern.  

I decided to make DH some undies.  The projector worked super well for that.  I used a pattern from Stitch Upon A Time.       I knew he'd want a fly front, so I even did all the work in making that.  Then, as I was stitching them together,  I realised it wasn't a great pattern (sorry SUAT).  Unlike their ladies' undies,   the boxer shorts for men had the seam up the middle of the backside!

I realised that this was really not pleasant,  so I didin't finish them.  DH did try them on though so I could get an idea of sizing for a pair by another maker.

I decided to try the Gable pattern from Made for Mermaids.   I hesitated, as I'd made a decision not to buy any more patterns until I've made a load of the ones I already have (I suspect that "buying patterns" is a separate hobby, along with "buying fabric").  I decided to bit the bullet,  and then found that I already owned it!    I just hadn't checked.

So that felt like a bit of a result.  I'd saved some money!   I didn't need to print the pattern,  I used the projector, and I was off.  It was going reasonably well.  I did a fly front again,  but the binding the designer uses is different to the way I normally do it.     I studied the instructions for a while,  watched a video,  did a dummy run.     I was evaluating whether it was worth the hassle.

In the end I decided "in for a penny...".  I could see that this would give a better finish (the seams are enclosed),  and I might as well learn to do it.       So, I did.    When I finished them, apart from the waistband,  something didn't look quite right.      I looked at them, IO looked at the pattern.  I looked at them,  I looked at the pictures of made ones.  I looked at them inside out to see if that would help.  There was definitely something wrong.

And then I saw it.  I'd sewn the fly on upside down.    As I'd overlocked everything,  it couldn't be saved.  I showed DH who chuckled,  and I flicked on the projector to have another go,.

That was several days ago, and I haven't sewn the pieces together yet.   I will do,  I just need to wait for another wave of enthusiasm.

My scanner is back from the experts, and it should be good to go.  I'll do some tests in a few days, and then I'll be able to scan and project my own patterns.

I  broke my fabric ban, for the second time this year (and the second time in a month actually) and bought another load of amazing fabric from Textile 9.    It arrived quickly,  and it was all lovely. I had no "buyers remorse" about any of it.

DH has decided to do a bit more wood turning,  and  recently bought a load of wood from someone's wood stash.  The chap he bought from has so much wood, and such a love of it.   Very much like those of us sewers/ists who buy fabric but don't necessariily use it....    I was delighted that DH spent more on it than I have spent on fabric all year.   The tables have turned (pun intended) now.

My brother, who also sews and loves fabric,  chortled when he heard.  He encapsulated it perfectly:   "Who'd have thought that fabric and wood would have so much in common?".

Followers